Sign in to follow this  

What bike would be best for a 47 year old dad?

My dad wants to get a bike so he can ride with me, I have a crf150rb, Ive let him ride it at the practice track when I get tired or hungry and want a quick break, he doesnt really plan on doing any jumping and defiantly not any racing. He rode a 125 2 stroke when he was a kid, anyways I think he wants a 2 stroke, I dont think he could handle a cr, rm, kx, yz, or sx, besides he doesnt need a racing bike with beefed up suspension. He is 5'10 180 lbs if that helps

My dad wants to get a bike so he can ride with me, I have a crf150rb, Ive let him ride it at the practice track when I get tired or hungry and want a quick break, he doesnt really plan on doing any jumping and defiantly not any racing. He rode a 125 2 stroke when he was a kid, anyways I think he wants a 2 stroke, I dont think he could handle a cr, rm, kx, yz, or sx, besides he doesnt need a racing bike with beefed up suspension. He is 5'10 180 lbs if that helps

Ktm 250xc. Best choice for him. You'll have no regrets. BUT i think he can handle and rm/yz/kx etc... But anyway or get him a cr250. They are still a 250 2 stroke obviously, but whenever i ride them, they seem reeeeeally mellow compared to the yz/kx/rm etc. Maybe it's the smooth powerband.. idk. But he can handle it.

If he rode a 125 as a kid he will pick it up real quick. I bet he doesn’t have any problems on your 150 except he is too big for it. I would suggest he look at any of the 250 2 strokes. Find a lightly used one in good condition and go for it. Even though he doesn’t plan on riding fast and jumping, if he is hanging out at the track with you he will be riding faster and harder than he expects before he knows it. There is nothing like the old man feeding the kid a bit of roost. Also tell him to invest in the right gear to protect his body.

CoKTM

If he rode a 125 as a kid he will pick it up real quick. I bet he doesn’t have any problems on your 150 except he is too big for it. I would suggest he look at any of the 250 2 strokes. Find a lightly used one in good condition and go for it. Even though he doesn’t plan on riding fast and jumping, if he is hanging out at the track with you he will be riding faster and harder than he expects before he knows it. There is nothing like the old man feeding the kid a bit of roost. Also tell him to invest in the right gear to protect his body.

CoKTM

Ive tried to convince him to get a 250 2 stroke, he doesnt think he can handle it, he recently rode a yz250f and he said he could barely handle the power, how much faster is the 250 2 stroke?

Ive tried to convince him to get a 250 2 stroke, he doesnt think he can handle it, he recently rode a yz250f and he said he could barely handle the power, how much faster is the 250 2 stroke?

A 250 2 stroke has considerably more power than a 250f.. but in that casee.. get him a KTM 200xc. Or if it comes down to it, you could bore out a 125 but then overheating is more frequent...

A 250 2 stroke has considerably more power than a 250f.. but in that casee.. get him a KTM 200xc. Or if it comes down to it, you could bore out a 125 but then overheating is more frequent...

I dont see him over heating a bike anytime soon, he rolls table tops!!

I dont see him over heating a bike anytime soon, he rolls table tops!!

Understandable but even just doing that, when you bore a 125 cylinder out, it's not that thick of an internal cylinder wall in the first place, but lets say you do it .30 over. it leaves an extremely thin cylinder wall and the heat travels through it ALOT faster. (im a mechanic) haha

Oh I see what you mean, I was also curious about maybe a crf250x, do u know anything about those?

Oh I see what you mean, I was also curious about maybe a crf250x, do u know anything about those?

I've never had good experience with hondas... but that doesnt mean it couldnt change..

Maybe the crf230 would be good for him. My choice for him would definitely be a 200xc but its really all personal preference. What's his favorite color?

He could care less about color, he just plans on taking it easy, maybe ride some trails, probably wont be doing any jumping.

He could care less about color, he just plans on taking it easy, maybe ride some trails, probably wont be doing any jumping.

I asked what color cuz it really doesnt even matter what brand. Haha. He could handle a wr250 if he wants a 4 stroke.

he doesnt want a yamaha, im gonna suggest the 250xc to him, but right now I cant find any dealers that have it in stock

I didn't read anything but the title of this thread but my buddy who is your age LOVES his CRF250F. It's four stoke and it's nice, light, and narrow but it's also the actual MX bike so it has the perfect blend of power and torque and won't be heavy and underpowered like the 4 stroke trail bikes...I would vote for this bike any day. Typically, the guys who want to be lazy and get a trail bike are always trying to remove the governors and what not to get some more power because they're so heavy and not as powerful, however if you get the crf250f you could always add a headlight or whatever to make it more like a trail bike but in reality the bike as it comes stock is all you'll ever need. I say that cuz my buddy with a wrf250 is always searching for more power, along with countless other guys owning xr's and what not.

Just my .02

200 xc-w best trail bike ever!

Ya thats where im leaning, I just cant find one for a decent price, the best deal i found was an 07 for $6,800

Ya thats where im leaning, I just cant find one for a decent price, the best deal i found was an 07 for $6,800

where do u live?

listen, all of this yammering on about motocross bikes is senseless. If your dad is gonna be trail riding, he needs a trail bike. Hi strung 2 stroke bikes of today have approx 2x the power your dad remembers and will probably scare the bejessus out of dear old dad as he's rolling a tabletop and the powerband kicks in! If he insists on a 2 stroke, a clean used kdx is cheap and plenty powerful enough. Having things like a kickstand,big tank,quiet pipe, are all things you take for granted. I have seen more than my share of people scared off or not using a bike to its full potential due to inexperiance.

listen, all of this yammering on about motocross bikes is senseless. If your dad is gonna be trail riding, he needs a trail bike. Hi strung 2 stroke bikes of today have approx 2x the power your dad remembers and will probably scare the bejessus out of dear old dad as he's rolling a tabletop and the powerband kicks in! If he insists on a 2 stroke, a clean used kdx is cheap and plenty powerful enough. Having things like a kickstand,big tank,quiet pipe, are all things you take for granted. I have seen more than my share of people scared off or not using a bike to its full potential due to inexperiance.

Thanks man, I cracked up when you said "scare the bejessus out of dear old dad"