Sign in to follow this  

Charging problem?

Hey guy's, awesome website. This place is just jammed with great info!

I have a '07 drz 400 and when it you start it first thing each day it is putting out 14+ volts @ idle. After riding it about a half hour the the battery is getting no charge from the stator. The volt meter will read 12+ and slowly drop as the bike is run down to a dead battery if you let it.

Wait a couple of hours until it has cooled down, fire it up and it show a charge of 14+ again. I unplugged the stator connector and it checks out at 50+ ac volts on all three connections with the volt meter.

I have replaced the stator and reg-rec and i am at a loss for what to check next.

Any ideas?:lol:

Go to FAQ at the top of the page and look for the guide on electrical troubleshooting. Since your problem seems to be when the motor is warm, I would do all the checks with a warm motor.

Inspect the connector from the RR to the wire harness, inspect the fuse and fuse holder, inspect the connector between the fuse holder and the battery, clean and tighten the battery terminals. My guess is "free Power" mod will cure the problem and even if not, it is still a good thing to do.

Charging system diagnoses Plus the "Free Power MOD"

Idea for the article; Noble. Thanks !

Published by E.Marquez

04-04-2008

Start at the beginning, skip no steps, do the Free power MOD regardless of what you see with that connection, it's helps 100% of the time, even on a working, like new OEM set up.

yeah ... do the free power mod regardless of the age of the bike

:worthy:Thanks Guy's, I went for a 20 mile ride today and checked the voltage a couple of times as well when I got home and it has a good 14+ volts at idle .

I appreciate all the responses!

PS, 40 degree day and saw lots of riders enjoying the sunshine.:bonk: