Sign in to follow this  

Lighting Conundrum

I just can't seem to make a decision on my lighting upgrade which is desperately needed. I've been running my '06 X with the stock lighting for a few months now and it's unbearable. She's totally stock with the exception of jetting, smog block-off, rear brake light and plate. We desert ride only with the exception of the necessary stints on-highway to intercept the next trail usually running 100-200 miles per outing which can get us back to the truck after dark at times. I want to complete the upgrade before our baja trip in February but can't decide if I should go HID, BD LED, or a more conventional setup in case I should get stopped by the man. You obviosly get higher quality lighting from HID but I'm a little concerned about the claims that running the bike without the light on at all times will cause electrical issues with the upgraded stator. I know JAT makes a great HID light which is a solid option but I'm seeking a little extra input before taking the plunge.

:lol:

I've owned several systems, including the Baja Designs Standard system, with a 45w bulb, and a JAT HID system.

First off, the Stator Rewind is very important. Some companies do a crappy job, that will last some people forever, and others for two or three rides before the coils start to rub and short out. Go with Baja Designs here.

The HID lighting has some real advantages, and is what I went with.

JAT's system provides a higher quality light spectrum (white, not brown) with a higher quality pattern.

Krannie are you putting your stocker back on for just daytime riding to drop some weight and what about the issue of BD stating that you need to have a constant draw with the rewound stator. I've heard from others that statement is more because of liability should something go wrong and that it doesn't create issues when running without a headlight on.

Your bike looks sharp by the way. What kind of tank is that you're running? It looks almost glossy in the photos.

I know a bunch of people that have run a lot of hours with little to no draw on the electrical system with out issues.

That being said, it is pretty easy to have a small draw. If you want to take off your Airtime-HID, then just put your stock headlight back on. No bigge. All you have to do is change the plug to match the HID plug and put a switch on it.

Don't skimp.

Baja Designs

Airtime-HID

You will be riding after dark in Baja in Feb.

But generally my riding consists of putting an extra gallon of gas in the backpack to go with my 3.2 in the tank and we're never quite sure if were going to ride into the night. If I put the stocker back on then I don't have HID when I need it at night. But if I read into your post correctly you know of others that are running the rewound stator without the headlight always on. I was hoping the running light would be enough of a constant draw to keep the system from overcharging or whatever other damage it might do (not that strong on electrical).

But generally my riding consists of putting an extra gallon of gas in the backpack to go with my 3.2 in the tank and we're never quite sure if were going to ride into the night. If I put the stocker back on then I don't have HID when I need it at night. But if I read into your post correctly you know of others that are running the rewound stator without the headlight always on. I was hoping the running light would be enough of a constant draw to keep the system from overcharging or whatever other damage it might do (not that strong on electrical).

A rewound stator cannot 'over charge' or 'over draw' your electrical system. It does not increase voltage, only current.

My IMS 3.2 Tank was glossy because of

16e8c491-ec2b-4e6d-828d-bdd7b5e3e00a.jpg

Rewind the stator and convert the stock light to HID, this will give you a huge improvement over stock. Also, if you use the correct r/r you can turn the light off. Our stators are wound in house, wound with 240c magnet wire and teflon lead wires. The kit in the picture is $200.

IMG_5459.jpg

If I put the stocker back on then I don't have HID when I need it at night.

that would be if you didn't want the HID on for some reason, like at the MX track.

when the HID is on, low or hi or both, it is enough draw.

any draw is better than none, but no draw won't cause instant failure.