Sign in to follow this  

Boyseen Rad Valve or Vforce Reeds?

so ive been debating back and forth if i should put some money into my bike.

one of the first things on my list are gonna be reeds, and im hearing vforce are the best then i hear rad valve is the best....soo which do you guys prefer?

what adds the most performance, where do they adjust the power; top or bottom end?

just looking for what you guys think are the better choice

Boyesen > VForce

Reed cages don't really make much of an increase in power, but give you better throttle response and will make jetting easier. If you have an 02 CR250, the Keihin PWK38 AS carb off a 99-00 CR250 would probably be a better mod for the money than reeds.

Edited by ridleyredraider

I'm glad you started this thread as I've heard the same exact things! I'm about to buy a full reeds/cage for my 98 when we do top end and want to know the basic differences in both.

Boyesen > VForce

Reed cages don't really make much of an increase in power, but give you better throttle response and will make jetting easier. If you have an 02 CR250, the Keihin PWK38 AS carb off a 99-01 CR250 would probably be a better mod for the money than reeds.

Of course I have a 98, one year shy of this "perfect" carb...Or wait you said IF you have a 02...well anyone else that knows the basic differences of these 2 companies reeds would be greatly appreciated, so I can figure out what I want.

Basically I've heard Rad valve>Vforce

I'm glad you started this thread as I've heard the same exact things! I'm about to buy a full reeds/cage for my 98 when we do top end and want to know the basic differences in both.

Of course I have a 98, one year shy of this "perfect" carb...Or wait you said IF you have a 02...well anyone else that knows the basic differences of these 2 companies reeds would be greatly appreciated, so I can figure out what I want.

Basically I've heard Rad valve>Vforce

Whats up black!.. man just get the pwk airstryker bro.. you wont be sorry... as for the reeds, many engine tuners will reccomend the rad valve for 125's and smaller and vforce3 for 250cc and over

Whats up black!.. man just get the pwk airstryker bro.. you wont be sorry... as for the reeds, many engine tuners will reccomend the rad valve for 125's and smaller and vforce3 for 250cc and over

Hmm :) Dang it I was hoping to get another vote on Rad Valve to settle this once and for all...It's turning into a he said she said, no clear better type of modification...

I definitely got airstriker on the list just lower priority than top end, reeds, and new silencer. Then I will start looking for a PWK AS :lol:

• Like 1

when you do..just hit up jd for one.. tell himyour altitude, temp, mods for your bike and he will jet it perfectly.. best money you can spend on your bike for sure.. and you know all the mods i have on mine.. but the carb was the best money spent

• Like 1

i debated for awhile what to put in my bike and i ended up going with the vforce 3's from what i was told they both work well, ive been told the rad valve works better but i was also told you had to have jetting spot on to make it work well, where as the vforce is more forgiving if you jetting isn't perfect so thats why i went vforce becasue idont want to be fiddling with jetting all the time, the vforce definitely cleaned up throttle response and in general broadened the whole powerband but was most noticeable on the bottom to mid portions of it, hope this helps

thanks for the input so far,

another one of my concerns was jetting, i also heard that the rad valve needed more jetting than the vforce or as you said 2-stroker96 the vforce was more forgiving if the jetting wasnt spot on. like you said you dont want to be messing with the jetting, im in the same boat i dont wanna mess with the carb if i dont have too.

can anyone else give me some input on this as well?

a few years back, a friend had a 01cr250 that he picked up used. Needed new reeds for the rad valve. Took almost a year for Boyesen to make replacement reeds for it. We didnt wait that long, went back to the stock cage with new reeds.

point being, I would never purchase anything from a company that doesnt support replacement wear parts for it. We looked at PU, WPS, TR, online, ebay. No one had them, not even boyesen. They just kept with the "2 weeks" promise the entire time.

I have always run the Vforce reeds in KXs and CRs and YZs that we have had through the years. Seems to give you much more hit midrange without taking away from the top end of the bike. And I have always been able to find replacement parts for them. Best reeds I have used for low end was the FMF torque reeds - which I dont believe are made anymore. They gave a lot more low end while sacrificing top end. but worked really well in the tight woods. Just depends on what you want.

That's interesting about maybe the Vforce is preferred for 250's and Boyesen for small bores... :lol:

I know more about the 125s, really, so maybe Boyesen isn't the best choice for the CR250?

I've had one or the other on multiple bikes (04 YZ250, 04 RM250, 01 and 02 CR125, 99 KX100, 03 KX250, 05 YZ125), and I wish I had both to compare. I think Boyesens are engineered better... the entire tract is one solid piece designed to increase airspeed, where the VForce seems to just be a plastic cage to hold their reeds and bolts up to the stock tube to the carb...I don't know, try both, sell the other on Ebay?

Well all I know is originally I was going with Vforce 3 just because that was the "most common" around. Then some guy said nonono rad valve blah blah blaaaahhhhh so then I find this thread and it's got me leaning back towards the vf3s!

I have the RAD Valve on both my cherry 2004 CR250 AND my 2007 CR125. Both have the JD Jet Kits as well. The increase in low-end and throttle response was definitely noticeable. Combined with the matched Boyesen exhaust spigot, a Pro Circuit pipe and an extra tooth on the rear, the 250 is an absolute beast. Stock 450s are no match in a heads-up drag race. I haven't found the need to rejet for temperature or minor elevation changes, nor have I had any trouble getting Pro Series replacement reeds. I have heard the composite V-Force base was more prone to air leaks than the Boyesen piece. It is truly well engineered. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

this past weekend i installed vforce 3 reeds into my cousins 02 cr125 (my old cr125), the one thing i wasnt crazy about was cutting the tabs off the the inlet boot. i took it for a ride after and couldnt tell the difference, all i knew was that it was a turd down low compared to my 250. but when he got home he took it for a ride and said it was alot better on the top end, and thats with no jetting at all.

soo basically what im looking for now is which would be the better choice to go with, without jetting the carb. without jetting im leaning towards vforce but im getting the sense that the rad valve is a better product

I bought the v-force and the reeds were frayed, chipped and delaminated in less than 40hrs, I'm currently running the rad valve with no problems.

I have the RAD Valve on both my cherry 2004 CR250 AND my 2007 CR125. Both have the JD Jet Kits as well. The increase in low-end and throttle response was definitely noticeable. Combined with the matched Boyesen exhaust spigot, a Pro Circuit pipe and an extra tooth on the rear, the 250 is an absolute beast. Stock 450s are no match in a heads-up drag race. I haven't found the need to rejet for temperature or minor elevation changes, nor have I had any trouble getting Pro Series replacement reeds. I have heard the composite V-Force base was more prone to air leaks than the Boyesen piece. It is truly well engineered. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Agreed, I like the one piece assembly as well.

i use vf3 in all my bikes. i had them in my banshee, blaster and my kx250. i like the throttle responce i got from them. the only thing i didnt like was the inlet hole. on every bike i put them in, i port match the center plastic piece that is removeable to the rubber carb boot. made a big difference. im going to buy vf3 for my current kx250 and perform the same surgery to them.. i wouldnt mind boyseens but they are a little out of my price range.

That's it, I'm going with RAD valve on my 98 cr250.

where about in tennessee are you? what kind of trail systems are down there. might move down to columbia.