Sign in to follow this  

Need HELP with tire/tube problem

I have gone through 7 or 8 tubes over the last year. Each one has ripped at the valve stem indicating that the tire is spinning on the rim.

I have used cheap to expensive tubes yet nothing is working.

I thought I would buy a new tire and tube this time to see if that works but am having trouble finding the recommended size tire.

XR 100R

Front Tire (factory) 2.50x19

Will a 70/100x19 tire fit ?:lol:

Maybe you need a new rimlock (?)

I agree with this^^^^

Your tire is probably spinning on the wheel and causing the tube to tear at the valve stem. I'd check and/or replace the rimlock.

I could see how not using the valve stem nut would possibly keep the valve stem from tearing when the tube moves, but do alot of guys do this? I hadn't heard of that trick before.

I like to spin my valve stem nut up against the bottom of the valve cap. When I see the tire has slipped on the rim, it only angles the valve stem in the hole alerting me to the fact I need to break it down and straighten it. Most of my riding buddies do this also.

I like to spin my valve stem nut up against the bottom of the valve cap. When I see the tire has slipped on the rim, it only angles the valve stem in the hole alerting me to the fact I need to break it down and straighten it. Most of my riding buddies do this also.

Good to know, thanks. :lol:

I agree with adding a rim lock. In my experience that is the only cure for preventing tire slippage. If your rim isn't drilled for a rim lock, drill the rim lock hole 180 degrees from the air valve hole.