2005 Cr250 Project

Hey guys.. bought this 2005 CR250 For $500 bucks.. this is exactly how i bought it.. and its journey to a better life as my dream bike.. List: Polished frame/subframe/swingarm.. ported block.. blueprited/matched cylinder to engine cases and gaskets... smoothed out the transfer ports... Airstriker carb with jd jetting jet kit... proseal airbox seal... media blasted all cases, cylinder, head, brake calipers... Renthal windam bend twinwall handlebars... pro taper pillow top grips... Msr clutch perch with lever and otf... Tusk billet black gas top... Tusk billet wide footpegs...twin air filter... twin air billet air filter bolt... HRC red brake res caps/ axle blocks/ oil fill cap/ front brake line clevis/ rear brake clevis/ wheel spacers... pc billet throttel tube.. pc 304 silencer... fmf sst pipe... motion pro clutch/throttel cables... Galfer steel braided brake lines... ebc brake rotors... Hot rods crank... Wiseco prolite piston.. Full Hinson Clutch, pressure plate, hub, basket, springs, plates... so far

254936_10150270988058210_506308209_8996338_6480066_n.jpg

As you can see.. not much came on the bike.. missing seat, gas tank, radiators and hoses, the rectifier/regulator, rear fender... / parts no good: rear shock pitted, front fork tubes pitted, wheels were cracked, tires were shot... crank, all bearings and seals were shot.. top end was shot. So basically all i had to work with was the frame, front forks excluding the tubes.. the engine cases and gears.. Everything else is brand new or restored to better than new condition.. enjoy

SAM_0024.jpg

The crank had seen better days..

004.jpg

005.jpg

002-2.jpg

Halfway through the polishing work.. (all by hand)

SAM_0037.jpg

SAM_0036.jpg

Did a slight porting job..

SAM_0035.jpg

Frame/subframe/swingarm completed polishing

006.jpg

Various parts polished..

001-1.jpg

Parts media blasted..

002-1.jpg

The Bike as it is today.. almost done and will post the pics of completion..

002.jpg

002-3.jpg

SAM_0075.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

bead blasted head, cylinder, cases..

009-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

back together she goes..

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

transfer ports done..

SAM_0116.jpg

Blue Printed/ matched cases to cylinder gasket..

SAM_0118.jpg

Getting there..

SAM_0114.jpg

007-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

081-1.jpg

375564_10150466520478210_506308209_10457024_414690221_n.jpg

Just need the rear shock and wheels and i will post up when the bike is finished completley.. But the engine rebuild was a sucess.. did 3 heat cycles and everything is good..since it was my first rebuild.. im pretty excited! Check back in soon

MXskillz that's looking good.Doing something similar to an 06 i bought for 800.No polishing for me though just a good cleaning.What brand of rads are they?Keep the updates coming.

Edited by flat4

MXskillz that's looking good.Doing the something similar to an 06 i bought for 800.No polishing for me though just a good cleaning.What brand of rads are they?Keep the updates coming.

Thanks alot man.. i reccommend ditching the stock carb on yours and get a pwk airstryker from www.jdjetting.com the best money spent on the whole bike for sure.. soo clean. As for the reeds i went with the VForce 3.. and will do on the updates.. a few more months.. thanjks again!

Im sorry.. the rads in that picwere made by tusk.. but did not end up using them due to a terrible fit.. not even close.. so RMATV sent me oem rads free of charge for the trouble..

super nice work, you got a lot of time and effort put into that bike, and it shows definitely one of the nicer cr's ive seen, i also have an 05 250 and, awesome bike for sure, enjoy the endless hours of fun that will come along with that bike

Thanks alot! Good to hear as yes, i have put alot of time in this.. the last 2 pics i used a camera phone.. so when its done, i will use a nice camera outside for some clear pics.. cant wait till you guys see it done! Will do man, i rode an 06 and told myself that will be the one bike i keep forever, so i came across this and im throwing everything at it as i know its never getting sold.. Cr 2 stroke for life

Very Nice! How much do you have invested into it aside from what you paid for the bike?

Lol.. sure you wanna know? Well aside the $500 for the bike and after i buy the rear shock and new wheels/tires the total will be $7,500 BUT.. i live in bermuda so i have to pay for overseas shipping from the USA, which added $1300 to that price and also we pay 35% duty tax on the total of items brought to the island wghich added like $1900 to that price

super nice work, you got a lot of time and effort put into that bike, and it shows definitely one of the nicer cr's ive seen, i also have an 05 250 and, awesome bike for sure, enjoy the endless hours of fun that will come along with that bike

Got any pics of your man?

Thanks alot man.. i reccommend ditching the stock carb on yours and get a pwk airstryker from www.jdjetting.com the best money spent on the whole bike for sure.. soo clean. As for the reeds i went with the VForce 3.. and will do on the updates.. a few more months.. thanjks again!

Im sorry.. the rads in that picwere made by tusk.. but did not end up using them due to a terrible fit.. not even close.. so RMATV sent me oem rads free of charge for the trouble..

Yes pwk for sure.I do have a pwk from an 05 yz250 i just need some jetting specs to get started with it.Nice they hooked you up on the rads.I am gonna icw straighten mine add a larger tank on the left side and brace them up.Want some extra cooling as the motor is getting a little displacement increase from a 3mm stroke and extensive transfer port work.All ti and alloy bolts etc..Lots of fun on these projects.Hearing rumors of a new cr250 2t for 2014.

Yes pwk for sure.I do have a pwk from an 05 yz250 i just need some jetting specs to get started with it.Nice they hooked you up on the rads.I am gonna icw straighten mine add a larger tank on the left side and brace them up.Want some extra cooling as the motor is getting a little displacement increase from a 3mm stroke and extensive transfer port work.All ti and alloy bolts etc..Lots of fun on these projects.Hearing rumors of a new cr250 2t for 2014.

Really? from a reliable source? They would be smart to build one.. no dought it would have port fuel injection.. they could make a killing.

Lol.. sure you wanna know? Well aside the $500 for the bike and after i buy the rear shock and new wheels/tires the total will be $7,500 BUT.. i live in bermuda so i have to pay for overseas shipping from the USA, which added $1300 to that price and also we pay 35% duty tax on the total of items brought to the island wghich added like $1900 to that price

Holy $#!t! That's a lot of money! Looks like the shipping and the taxes is what really killed you.

On the bright side, you pretty much have a brand new bike! I am hoping to pick up a late model CR250R within the next year or two and rebuild it and all.

Where are you hearing this?

I would seriously hope this is true! I think it could be a good investment for Honda since a lot of people still like riding the 2 strokes.

Excellent work on your CR250!

?

Gotta love these bikes! They rock!

I recently picked up a 2005 CR250R myself, been working on it over the summer.

I just did the Airstriker carb swap, and installed the Vforce3 reed valve.

New Pro-X top end, too.

Bike is super sweet. I just love it. So much fun to ride.

I plan to keep this one forever.

CR250R_5115.jpg

Best thing Honda could do is bring back the CR500 and CR250 2t.

From our perspective it would be great, but Honda is firmly a 4 stroke company and this is most likely wishful thinking. There is a Steve Matthes podcast interview with Honda Race Team manager Dave Arnold who said they actually experimented with high pressure direct injection prior to discontinuing the CR two strokes. Matthes stated that after all of the required equipment was installed, the direct injected two stroke weighed almost as much as the 4 stroke which negated its weight advantage. Couple that with a poor economy, and it is highly doubtful that Honda would sink large amounts of money into the necessary R&D to actually bring an injetced (either throttle body, or direct injection) 2 stroke bike to market.

Remember, throttle body fuel injection still allows for the exhaust port to be open simultaneously with the intake which continues the 2 stroke pollution problem. Certainly an improvement over carbs, but not an end all solution. Only the more complex and expensive high pressure direct injection system (like the SkiDoo e-tek system) solves this issue. Would Honda be willing to do this? Doubtful. Highly doubtful.

http://en-us.ski-doo.com/technologies/engine-technologies.aspx

Edited by APBT