Sign in to follow this  

Honda CRF 450 or KTM 350??

Im looking to buy a new bike and cant decide what to get..

Im 5'10, 170lbs, and currently ride a RMZ 250

I love my bike but hate racing with the young kids.. Im 27 so im looking to get in the 450 class where the racing here is more enjoyable and not full of morons.

I dont really want anymore power really than my 250f has except longer power would be nice. So I was thinking the 350 sxf is prob the perfect bike, however its heavy...

The Crf 450 is the lightest and weakest of the 450s which is why I chose it as a 450. my brother has a 2011 RMZ 450 and it just is to much bike for me

I only race junior and 450 is alot of bike, but I've never ridden a ktm before and I'm a picky bastard when it comes to handling and feel.

Has anyone rode these bikes? maybe both? and can lend a hand choosing which one of would suit me best.

From what i have read, (i know i'll get crap for this) the 2011 350 has a powerband much like a 2 stroke, and has to be run high in the rpm's to get good power out of it. However, the engine was re-mapped in 2012, and i have heard that the power is now much more usable.

From what i have read, (i know i'll get crap for this) the 2011 350 has a powerband much like a 2 stroke, and has to be run high in the rpm's to get good power out of it. However, the engine was re-mapped in 2012, and i have heard that the power is now much more usable.

i dont know what 350 you've been riding :lol:

Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for a 350, go for it, they are very well built bikes.

The 350 is not "heavy", in fact, it will feel lighter than a 450 due to less rotating mass...

You would be great for the 350. Ive had 2 KTM's along with a YZ, a RM and a CR, I would have to say I like KTM best of all. A lot of people hate KTM but as soon as you get on one you will never go back to anything else.

Wow 350 is getting respect didnt expect that lol.. thought everyone would say honda

Im thinking the 350 is prob the best for me also, its a heavy bike but they say it feels light so thats a good thing. Ive had all kinds but never a KTM so was worried it would feel way dif than the Jap bikes, and here in canada they are not cheap at all. hate to hate it after $10,000

Im looking to buy a new bike and cant decide what to get..

Im 5'10, 170lbs, and currently ride a RMZ 250

I love my bike but hate racing with the young kids.. Im 27 so im looking to get in the 450 class where the racing here is more enjoyable and not full of morons.

I dont really want anymore power really than my 250f has except longer power would be nice. So I was thinking the 350 sxf is prob the perfect bike, however its heavy...

The Crf 450 is the lightest and weakest of the 450s which is why I chose it as a 450. my brother has a 2011 RMZ 450 and it just is to much bike for me

I only race junior and 450 is alot of bike, but I've never ridden a ktm before and I'm a picky bastard when it comes to handling and feel.

Has anyone rode these bikes? maybe both? and can lend a hand choosing which one of would suit me best.

My friend rides an 09 CRF 450 and gave my dad's KTM 350 a few rides, and he gets KTM fever every time he rides it. He says it feels like it has about as much torque as his 450, but since it isn't ripping your hands out of the sockets it is easier to use what power you have.

I ride a ktm 250 XCF-W and the first time I rode the 350 it made me look like a freaking goon for the first lap before I got used to the power.. every time I hit the throttle the front wheel was coming up.. wasn't used to that.

EDIT: and as weight it doesn't feel any heavier than my 250... until you drop it and have to lift the thing.

I was planning to get a new crf450 but went to the dark side and got a 2011 ktm 350sxf. I love it. The low end power feels like a very fast 250f. The 350's mid to top end pulls almost like a 450 and has plenty of top end speed. I don't feel the arm ripping power of my 2006 crf450 but never feel underpowered like I did on my old yz 250f. The 2012 mapping can be installed on a 2011.

There's a ton of left over 2011 350sxf's down here going for cheap, surely there's gotta be some in Canada. Is shipping a bike to Canada an option or is customs just to much of mess with taxes and such?

There's a ton of left over 2011 350sxf's down here going for cheap, surely there's gotta be some in Canada. Is shipping a bike to Canada an option or is customs just to much of mess with taxes and such?

Def something to look into.. Bikes in this area usually dont last long but might be worth asking ktm since I havent yet.

I heard ppl had some troubles with the 11's and there was a recall??

might be worth spending the extra on the 12, I dont care about stock suspension since I would be getting it set up for me anyway, but reliability of the engine is important.

The 350 SX is 245 lbs with the tank full...thats not exactly heavy. Here, check this out...

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_1006_2011_ktm_350_sxf_first_test/index.html

Thanks for the link. the fact that its 8 pounds more than a CRF450 makes it heavy I think. Wish the bike was closer to the weight of a 250 rather than the weight of a 450 but like others said with less rotating mass the bike feels much lighter than it is, and watching transworld motocross test videos on youtube they say it feels light so I think I'm gonna go with the 350 hopefully its the right choice

The CRF450R is 238 lbs dry...you are comparing wet and dry weights. The KTM is 230 lbs dry, so its 8 lbs less than the Honda.

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/crf450r/specifications.aspx

Damn wet and dry weights lol.. thanks man I just assumed if they were comparing weight they would use the same for both, kinda misleading on dirt riders part.

The KTM is prob def the right bike for me then. I here KTM is making changes in 2013 so maybe I will just look for a leftover 11 instead of the 12. Hate buying new bikes then they change them the next year...

i had a chance to ride all the 2012 ktm sx line at a ktm ride day. if you dont like the power of a 450 then a 350 might suit you. i personally hated it , it felt like i was dragging an anchor lol real boggy down low but mid to top real strong almost like a 450. but thats my personal oppinion. i say a good pipe will help a lot on the bottom, it felt really light like a 250f . but damm if i was buying a ktm it would be the 250 2stroke . that thing was incredible nice !!! just my two cents

i had a chance to ride all the 2012 ktm sx line at a ktm ride day. if you dont like the power of a 450 then a 350 might suit you. i personally hated it , it felt like i was dragging an anchor lol real boggy down low but mid to top real strong almost like a 450. but thats my personal oppinion. i say a good pipe will help a lot on the bottom, it felt really light like a 250f . but damm if i was buying a ktm it would be the 250 2stroke . that thing was incredible nice !!! just my two cents

I grew up riding 2 strokes and was really thinking of going back to one.. I was originally gonna buy a 150sx based on how much everyone loves that bike.

But looking to race I think 350 this year and 150 next year for a second play bike.

But my brother is looking at getting a 2011 ktm 250sx so maybe I will ride that before I buy a 350 and might change my mind haha.

I grew up riding 2 strokes and was really thinking of going back to one.. I was originally gonna buy a 150sx based on how much everyone loves that bike.

But looking to race I think 350 this year and 150 next year for a second play bike.

But my brother is looking at getting a 2011 ktm 250sx so maybe I will ride that before I buy a 350 and might change my mind haha.

i also rode the 150 that thing is like a 125 on crack lol. :lol: sooo light it felt like a pit bike. real punchy powerband but not as beefy as the 250 . but fun factor is high !!!! out of the bunch of ktms . i liked 250 2smoke 150 and 250f all sweet bikes.