Sign in to follow this  

should i get a 450?

Im about 5'7 and 210lbs and i have a 09 yz450f. I love it its a very very nice bike.

But what bike are you coming from? what type of riding do you do?

It really depends on what type of riding you will be doing most of the time.

I have a WR 450 that is alot of fun unless the trails are so tight you're hitting the steering stops all day long. For that kind of riding a 250 2 stroke or 250 F would have been plenty.

But when the trail opens up just a bit or you're in the desert the WR450 has a great motor.

Think about the places that you ride.

A buddy of mine is 5, 7 140lbs and rides his CRF great, I traded my KX450f for a CRF250R and hate it. If you can ride a 2 stroke 250, you can ride a 450. You also have to rebuild 250s more often. DRz 400 is a great bike, not too torque like a 450, fast as one.

Hi few things to contemplate,

10 years riding on what? 4 strokes? most of us older fellows ( I'm 49) learn't a great range of skills on 125 - 500 2 strokes, mind you not always under control. The biggest issue to think about is that you are still young so try it and see, 450 4s are great very tractable and with good throttle control theres no reason why you cant step up and enjoy it....but if you already ride 4s what will you really learn. Take a chance try a 250/300 gasser and live a little while your still making up your mind. There is nothing like not really being in control ALL the time to make life exciting. Best of all have fun.

Im about 5'7 and 210lbs and i have a 09 yz450f. I love it its a very very nice bike.

But what bike are you coming from? what type of riding do you do?

2009 yz125 and desert and motocross

Hi few things to contemplate,

10 years riding on what? 4 strokes? most of us older fellows ( I'm 49) learn't a great range of skills on 125 - 500 2 strokes, mind you not always under control. The biggest issue to think about is that you are still young so try it and see, 450 4s are great very tractable and with good throttle control theres no reason why you cant step up and enjoy it....but if you already ride 4s what will you really learn. Take a chance try a 250/300 gasser and live a little while your still making up your mind. There is nothing like not really being in control ALL the time to make life exciting. Best of all have fun.

10 years on 2 strokes

Well seems like you would have the 2s tech down pretty well, bit of a jump to a 450 4s power delivery different and extra weight will make it feel sluggish compared to a 125 2s, how about an 300 2s if you really like the 2s riding style otherwise go for a big 4s you must have the skill base by now. Im 5'7" and ride a 450 KTM so im a bit short for it but would change it for the world, I changed from 2s to 4s so I could chill and cruise sometimes instead of always riding on the pipe, and if it dosen't work sell and try again

I will ride anything with a motor and wheels that runs. Of course you should get a 450. You should also get a 500 2t, 500 4t, 125 2t, 350 4t. IMO I should have one of everything.