Sign in to follow this  

Never been on a 500

hey all

I need some info.

I been riding in the 250 class for awhile.

I thinking about throwing down on a 500AF and running in the outlaw class.

But I never been on a 500. Can you guys shine some light on it?

how would it do on a MX track? or is it meant for hill climbing and baja kinda racing. I know it has a lot of power, maybe over kill on the track.

I look forward to what you guys say

:lol::banana::)

Imo.. its too much bike for the track.. mabey if you were playing around every once in a while, but if your are going to be racing it, a 250is all you will need. the first time i rode a 500 it scared the living shitt outta me, even when i got used to it, its just to much bike, fun as hell but too much for mx. Not to mention when you get tired you will have a hard time trying to hold on to that beast.. By the way ive ridden plenty of full race 450's in australia and nothing compared to that 500.. i say ride one first to get your opinion of it before you go buying one.. Give it some time to get used to it as it will hurt you real quick! But hey, give it a try..good luck!

Just depends on your skills. The more compact AF would be a lot easier to throw around the track than a standard steelie 500. I used to ride my 480 on the track with no problems. The steel framed 500's are tanks, but still fun. It wouldn't necessarily be any more overkill on the track than a 450, but more people will notice you!

back in the 80's i had a rm500 and ya, they are alot oto handle. but like above said, depends on ur skill set. you dont havta go right out there and blast it. get it , ride it , race it u'll like it.

I used to have a 2000 CR500 I rode at the sand dunes in California all the time.

VERY sweet machine for duning. It's all about "throttle control". You can actually cruise them around all mellow if you want to.

The power is there if you need it. Just roll back the throttle and hang on.

Very forgiving bike. Easy to ride.

Good low-end power too. You can lug them around all day long.

Comfortable ride, the seat is like a couch.

Decent suspension and brakes.

Not sure how good it would be for MX racing though.

What you lose in the turns, you probably could not gain back in the straights.

I don't MX race, but I keep hearing how those 250F 4t's are easier to turn faster consistent lap times with on a track.

CR500 would probably be a handful on an MX track.

The thing with the 500 is you'll probably have to reteach yourself to ride if you've been on a 250 smoker, with the 5 you can run a gear high and just torque your way around the track if you rev it/clutch it like a 250 you'll probably wear yourself out in a lap or 2. Let the motor do the work and just grunt you around the track, and practice your corners/approach speed as thats an adjustment also(they come up quick on a 500)The motors are awesome and very versatile, throttle control is key if you're prone to whiskey throttle episodes stay away

I started riding MX with a 95 KX500 and is was a bit much for me and my lack of ability. Now I ride at a vet A level and am building my own CR500 conversion with the CRF250 frame after having ridden a converted 05 with the CR500 at the local MX track. All I can say is Wow! I love it and don't think its any harder to ride than my full modifided 08 CRF450.

I'd rather ride a 500 for MX. I'd ride a 450 if you would pay the mechanic and cover the parts too. Wouldn't be as much fun as the 500 though. IMO the stock 500 motor is a bit weak for MX. Doen't take much work to juice it up so it hits strongly though. If you run em hard and you are not in shape don't expect to last more than 5 minutes unless the track is perfectly groomed, then maybe 10 if it is. Take real muscle to get after a 500 smoker.

Running a CR250 ignition makes cornering a whole new experience vs stock. The smaller/light FW is a big help in laying em over and berm surfing.

Also be careful jumping with the throttle pegged. I've over shot stuff a LONG ways and had time to call moma more than once.

Throttle control is key. Respect the right wrist and you will be good.

This guy rips one pretty good...

Throttle control, Its best to lug them around, keeps things under control. The trick to getting the 500 to turn is keeping the revs down.

they are a bitch when you get tired.

ive almost flipped mine on numerous occasions just because i hit a bump and "accidently" blipped the throttle a bit too much.

they are fun and can be fast if your good with 2 strokes but they are also flawed.

its either on or off power.

getting traction down out of sharp corners to get a run up for close jumps is a nightmare.

too much wheel spin.

they have short bursts of immense power which is also difficult for riding whoops fast.

you will be faster on a 450. hate to say it.

ive set mine up nice for mx.its a weapon. but when i get on my mates 450s, it opens my eyes to what an easy ride is.

Never ridden one personally, but it seems like it would be fun.

Here's a video of a guy in TX turning some fast laps on a stock 1992 KX500. Sounds like the engine is just lugging along through most of it.

MX is all I ride my '88 on, and all I plan to ride my 500AF on when it's completed. My experience is that is wears me out much faster than my old CR250 did. I can't tell alot of difference cornering because I stink at corners. Maybe that will improve with the AF. It's alot easier to clear obstacle, especially since I'm not great at cornering--I can come out of corners slower and never worry about not clearing a jump. I find the 450s passing me sometimes because I'm spinning the rear wheel and they are hooked up, but I'm getting better at riding a gear higher and hooking up more. I can holeshot anyone though.

In a nutshell, it's a blast to ride on the track, and gets lots of comments. And yes, I enjoy the notoriety. But I'll admit I'd be more competitive on a 250t or 450. But being competitive is not my top priority right now.

I have a CR 500 that i use on the street with cut slicks on super moto wheels during summertime, and in the winter i use it for iceracing. I have a ported cylinder, high comp head, 41,5mm carb and a handbuilt pipe is on the way. This should give around 70hp. it scares me sometimes and i would never take it out to the MX track. It would probably injure me, but it,s a lot of fun on the streets and ice=)! Respect to the guys who ride these bikes at speed on MX tracks!

I only rode my 2000 CR500 at the California sand dunes.

I can tell you, it's the perfect machine for that environment.

I had a 14 scoop paddle tire on the back, and that sucker would shoot

up any dune or hill I was pointed at.

I didn't even have to be in the right gear. I just rolled the throttle back and off it went. Hang on, front end liked to pop up all the time.

Put a smile on my face everytime I rode it.

Got my 2005 CR250R now. Love it just the same.

Some things are better on my 250, but the 500 motor is king.

My 250 is so easy to start. I'm getting older, and I don't need the power of the 500 anymore.

The 250 is plenty strong for my needs. I'm a light rider anyway... 160 lbs.

:lol:

I'd rather ride a 500 for MX. I'd ride a 450 if you would pay the mechanic and cover the parts too. Wouldn't be as much fun as the 500 though. IMO the stock 500 motor is a bit weak for MX. Doen't take much work to juice it up so it hits strongly though. If you run em hard and you are not in shape don't expect to last more than 5 minutes unless the track is perfectly groomed, then maybe 10 if it is. Take real muscle to get after a 500 smoker.

Running a CR250 ignition makes cornering a whole new experience vs stock. The smaller/light FW is a big help in laying em over and berm surfing.

Also be careful jumping with the throttle pegged. I've over shot stuff a LONG ways and had time to call moma more than once.

I'd give anything to have my steelie 500 back, i can only imagine how much more agile a AF 5 is, the 500 is a acquired taste some like them and some don't for me it suits my rideing style very well and i'm on a mission to get back on a 500

I mx'ed kx500's back in the early 90's, I find them as easy to ride as a modern 450, peak power is similar, the two strokes have a lot more bottom/mid, and do not rev as high

IMO the stock 500 motor is a bit weak for MX. Doen't take much work to juice it up so it hits strongly though.

the most powerfull stock mx engine ever built by honda is a bit weak???

i gotta disagree with you there.

while it might lack top end punch (compared to 250s), there is not much weak about the 500.

even clapped out ones still run like raped apes.

most people that "juice them up" soon realise they become unridable.

i gear mine 14/46 at 85 kg and i still struggle to getting traction on hard dry tracks(fully rebuilt with cleaned,polished,matched porting).

ive had to detune it somewhat to make it work on a mx track(tall gearing and rich jetting). 1st and 2nd gears used to be unusable before i geared it from a 49 to a 46. all i ever used to get was wheel spin or unplanned wheelies out of corners if the tyre "decided" to hook up.

now, powerband is much broader, less hitty.

the 250 ignition helped stop the stalling issues, made starting easier and smoothed out the low end hit.

Edited by thestuz

The latest 2 generation of AF bikes (up to 2009 CRF250R chassis, and 2010+ cRF250R chassis) are just plain AWESOME once you get the chassis dialed in. The thing is you can't just cut/chop/rebuild a 250-4 chassis to accept the 500-2 motor and expect it to work without some serious though to suspension revalving and spring changes...

Nobody but the pros can fully utilize all the power a race 450-4 or stock 500-2 motor can produce. I recently got my hands on a bike with a serious Pro-level 450-4 motor and let me tell you that you'd be hard-pressed to state that any 500-2 has more power! Same issues as the 500-2: when you get tired and whiskey-throttle it, it's time to pull off te track.

Short-shift the 500-2 and ride it! I rode a bunch of 500AF inside over the Winter periods at Mototown, more SX than mx of course. No problems, but Mototown is no more due to a roof collapse. VERY good woods bikes, too, believe it or not.

Edited by Ed2006CRF450R