Sign in to follow this  

Anyone curred of Patella pain?

I am wondering if anyone has done all the stretching and strengthening of the inside of the quad ect ect and has actually come back from crunchy popping knees to a normal painless smooth knee?

I am doing all of these things and my knees seem to be getting worse ever so slowly.

I am wondering if anyone has done all the stretching and strengthening of the inside of the quad ect ect and has actually come back from crunchy popping knees to a normal painless smooth knee?

I am doing all of these things and my knees seem to be getting worse ever so slowly.

I don't have the crunchy, poppy knee like you, but I do suffer from knee pain that was diagnosed as patello femoral disorder (or syndrome). You may have something different. In my case, I went to physical therapy to get some exercises and stretches. The exercises and stretches seemed to make it worse at times. I was also doing karate and that made it worse, too. I laid off karate and stopped doing the exercises if my knees bothered me. One thing that seemed to help was glucosamine. While it didn't eliminate the pain completely, it shortened the healing time to one day as compared to about 5 days. I took 2000 mg per day.

I talked to my physical therapist about whether I should continue with the exercises when my knees hurt. He said it was like picking a scab. So, I basically gave up the exercises and kept the stretches. I also started taking the steps up about 5 stories where I work rather than the elevator. I also would do lunges. I got to the point where I could tell where I knew I was going to experience pain and would stop. Usually, that was when my leg muscles were pretty tired. Then, I would give my knees a rest for a couple of days and try to pick up with the exercises again. If it felt questionable, I would lay off for a couple more days.

I wish I could say my pain went away, but it didn't. Certain things will aggravate it like squatting down or kneeling for extended periods of time when I'm working around the house. Now that I'm more mindful, I try to limit my time doing those things that could aggravate my knees. My knee pain still occurs every 3 months or so and seems worse when it's cold.

I exercise when I can but don't push it. I realize I just can't get away with doing things that I could when I was 20 years younger. Some people say to use it or lose it. My philosophy (based on my experience) is to use it, but not use it up. I need to preserve cartilage for my later years, so once I start getting to the point where pain is about to occur, I back off. Your results may vary. Good luck.