Sign in to follow this  

Ttr 230

Well this is my forst post, this is a awesome forum.

Anyways, I just bought a 2005 ttr 230, its in great shape and I got a steal on it, has very few hours on it. I changed the oil and filter and new plug but was wondering if I should take it to a shop to get the valves adjusted, I know they reccomend it but is it something that definetly needs to be done or it will hurt my bike. thanks

Two answers for the price of one: Yes, and No.

Yes, take it to the shop to get the valves adjusted. It can't possibly be more than a half hour of labor because it's so astonishingly simple to do. The rockers have lock nut adjusters, and the valve cover has access doors so you can do it without removing the valve cover.

No, do it yourself, because it's so astonishingly simple to do.

Chances are no adjustment is necessary. But it's so easy to check that you should do it anyway. I check mine twice a year, and they have never moved.

Check 'em, or get them checked, then you'll be happy knowing that your bike is anvil-reliable like every other TT-R 230.

If you don't feel like doing it yourself this time and/or the shop charges are too much, often times there is a trusted mechanic who used to work for that shop doing their own thing since the economy turned. Check out your local craigslist and then do a little homework to verify the quality of that mech's work.

Having said that, the TTR230 is insanely reliable!

yea... i've checked my 06's 250 valves once since i've owned it. haven't had any (valve related) problems! just to give you an idea of reliability of ttr's.all you really have to do is find tdc after pulling the valve cover off and get some feeler gauges that are the spec recomended and see if they fit under the cam lobes. pretty easy once you get the hang of it! crfsonly or whatever that sites called has a good step by step picture proscess for it! very helpful!