Sign in to follow this  

Shorai Battery Any Good ? or just Hype

My buddy and I have had them for about 8 months now and they have been great. Can't say i notice the weight loss, but I did save some pounds. I can leave my bike in the garage without starting or charging for 2 months and it starts right up.

My friend just got one yesterday for his 2011KTM450SXF , its definitely lighter than his OEM battery , KTM has a small and large battery , he has the small one ,the large one is the same as the YTZ7S , that is found in most 450X and Yamaha WR's , the Shorai , he has is the 135cca one , it cranks the motor (were in 30 deg temps in the mornings here and he has 20/50 oil) , about the same as the OEM battery , but i think if he switches to 10/40 oil it will crank a little faster , and that was right out of the box , so once it is cycled , i would guess it would start easier

My YTZ7S just went bad in my 450X , so the same 135CCA Shorai that my friend just got i am getting , What is impressive is how light it feels compared to his stock battery , its like it does not feel any heavier than the cardboard box it comes in , yet will still crank the motor , i am positive if the weather was above 45 it would crank even faster than it does , but it does as least as good as the stock KTM battery , he got his for under $99 out the door , so even at that its worth it , the Yuasha YTZ7S cost that or more

For my 450X , the weight savings alone will be a plus , the X weighs about 280 with a tank of gas , so ANY weight loss is a plus and worth it especially if it cranks the motor , 3-4 lbs makes a difference for old guys like me