Sign in to follow this  

Need crankshaft: Cooksey, Hotrods, Wiseco, Eric Gore or OEM?????

Decisions, decisions. Well I'm looking to get a crank for my 2007 YZ250. I guess my choices are Andrew Cooksey rebuild for around $165, Hotrods, Wiseco, Eric Gore or OEM????? I talked to Andrew and he sounds knowledgeable. I am leaning to use his services. Is there any reason I shouldn’t? I heard good and bad things about Wiseco and Hotrods cranks. I would think Eric Gore would be great too. Then there is OEM which some swear by. I could probably get an OEM new 5UP-11400-10-00 for around $270 either through TT or elsewhere. I will call Eric in the am to see. I just send my Top End in for an evaluation but most likely it will turn into a replate. I didn't realize he did cranks too. Any thoughts or experiences?

If I had the choice, I would have the OEM crank rebuilt with new bearings and rod.

But since my bike came with a Wiseco crank (not using for different reasons), I choose to run Hotrods. 40 hours on mine so far, still as good as new.

• Like 1

+1 Personally i would go oem because i think they are the best to run but there is a big price on them. But for like half the price you can get a hot rods crankshaft, and they hold up very very well. Also i had a 07 yz250 and it had a wiseco crank in it and i never had a problem with it:thumbsup:

I would rebuild you original... A good builder will probably get it to where its even better balanced than oem and last a long time. I used the wiseco, have about 125-140 hrs on it without issue but it does vibe a little more than oem. Crank works is local for me and they come highly reccomended so I kept the oem last time I changed mine and will have them build it this time.

My local shop (RB Designs) will press in a new lower bearing and true the crank for $35.

I've got a little over 140hrs on a Hot Rods crank in my YZ now and never had an issue. I'd prefer OEM, but the hot rods has served me well.

Send it to crankworks in az!

Seriously - best products out there.

just cause I don't know, is there a performance benifet to a "more" balanced crank then stock, I checked out his website and beside the rebuilding and stroking, is does not discuss performance advatange of a more balnced crank...

A well balanced crank saves on piston, bearings and therefore on seals too.

Not to mention, you'll feel less vibration through the bars.