Sign in to follow this  

Help with 09 crf450r

Help I have a 2009 crf450r with 128 hours on it. While racing at A Day In The Dirt I experienced bike troubles, that I'm still struggling with finding an answer to. My bike ran great up until about 25 min into my first moto, at that point it started bogging out badly when I was on the gas. At first I would be on the gas down a straight and get about 3/4 the way through the powerband before it would bog out. It kept getting worse to the point where anytime I gave it gas it would bog out. It never died though and would idle no problem. 30 Min after my moto I hopped on my bike and ride it around the pits and it rips again no prob. Next moto same thing, runs great for about 25 min, then starts bogging out getting worse as time wears on. Thanks you so much for any help you might be able to provide!

I would have to say the dirt would settle when the bike was sitting, and as your moto went on it would reclog the filter.

This is how they act when the fuel pump goes bad.

It is also how they act when the filter is clogged. Clean or replace the filter before replacing the whole pump.

It is also how they act when the filter is clogged. Clean or replace the filter before replacing the whole pump.

Just wondering how the filter can be ok on min then clogged the next. These filters are not the type you can move dirt around in. they are a mesh that holds the foreign objects stationary. They cannot be cleaned.

I'm trying to save the OP some time and trouble as well as cost. since the new pump will come with the filter installed. And a filter kit is not cheap.

A filter has got to be cheaper than a pump!! And it's not hard to clean at all, the link in the above post is a good one.

Must be something to do with pressure in the line, the crud in the filter would move (float) when the pump is not sucking right? Maybe it gradually sucks the crud down in the filter when running and chokes the supply, then when you stop it all floats free again? Who knows but cleaning is an easy cheap fix.

I cleaned mine after 50 hours and it was black but cleaned up OK, which reminds me.. :lol:

I'll go on record and say your wrong.

You might get the outer layer of the filter to change color back to white again, but your not getting the inner element clean. Once the dirt is trapped in there, its in there for good.

A friend with a 09 had his gas cap fall off, some roost got in there and the next ride he had the bogging symptom. We cleaned the filter and tank (filter was black had visible dirt) put it back together and have had no more problems, that was 50 engine hours ago. Easier just to buy a new filter and install for sure but we are cheap.. Use brake cleaner and compressed air. Each to their own though man, all good.

I have tried to clean mine, also and it was a temporary fix, at best. After 5 or so more hours, it did the same thing. Just buy a replacement filter kit, with new o-rings. It's about $40, if memory serves. There is an updated filter which is larger, out of the trx quad. Don't have a PN, sorry.

I'm trying to save the OP some time and trouble as well as cost. since the new pump will come with the filter installed. And a filter kit is not cheap.

How is recommending a $350 pump trying to save the op money? The pump should be tested as shown in the shop manual if it is suspect. If it passes the test, it is the filter.

As far as cleaning the filter it is possible to clean it, how much dirt it gets out is anybodies guess. I've cleaned mine but just as preventative maintenance, it was not clogged and still running fine.

The thing to do is get the filler neck filter through crfstuff and none of this will ever be a problem. I put one on my bike at about 10hours and I've never had a bogging issue.

I had an issue at about 15 hours with my 09 cutting out intermittantly. It might last for a few seconds then run fine for 20 mins. I reluctantly bought a fuel filter and when I went to replace it, it looked as good as the new one. I ended up cleaning the throttle body afer finding a little dirt in it and it's ran fine ever since. I've probably put well over 100 hours on it since then without an issue, and still on the original fuel filter. I'm not saying it isn't the fuel filter, but just another possibility.

Rod

thanks for all the feedback, I'm going to start with getting a new fuel filter and see if that fixes the issue. Guess I might check the throttle body for dirt also, though I have never once had any dirt creep past the air filter and I do a thorough inspection every time I clean it.