Sign in to follow this  

Are 90cc ATVs fun for adult too?

Let's say I have no experience on a quad. Would a 90cc quad be fun just to goof around on? Or would it be so small/slow that it'd by no fun?

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 140.

I'm thinking about getting something small so that a kid could ride as well as an adult.

it could be fun but the quad would probably get torn up rely fast I would go for the raptor 125.

IMO, I think you would have more fun on a honda xr or crf50 dirtbike.. Upgrade the suspension with heavy duty springs and get a big bar kit and you and your kid will have a blast.. :bonk:

They are fun. Depending on the size kid you want to ride it.

The best, I know a strong statement for this website, the best quad to screw around on and for a kid to ride is a Suzuki LT160. They are bullet proof, 5 gears, easy to wheelie, just an all around ton of fun.

We have a LT160 and a Raptor 80. Both are allot of fun in different ways. The raptor is a great yard machine and the LT160 is great for doing small hill climbs and some higher speed shinannigins.

Buy either, you won't regret it!

I bought my wife a 90 for her first quad, but she was ready to upgrade after 3 rides. The kids loved it, too. We would tie a plastic sled to it and pull the kids around the neighborhood when it snowed. Fully uncorked, I could get the li'l bastard up to a best of 42mph (gps). Just don't expect much fun on the trail or mountains. No power for hills or mud, suspension and brakes aren't that strong.

Thanks all for the responses.

I went to the Seattle motorcycle show last weekend and sat on several quads. The Raptor 125 looked very nice, but it has only been out for a year or so. I don't think I could find one for $1,500.

I also sat on the Honda TRX 90. It felt like it would be big enough for a smaller adult (like me) but small enough for a 10 year old child.

I am going to Palm Springs next week and will be renting an ATV to see if I like it. Maybe the rental place will let me try out several models?

Thanks again for the feedback. My budget is about $1,500 so my options are limited.

IMO, I think you would have more fun on a honda xr or crf50 dirtbike.. Upgrade the suspension with heavy duty springs and get a big bar kit and you and your kid will have a blast.. :bonk:

I hear you. I'm also looking into a KLX 110. I will make up my mind after renting an ATV to see how I like it.

OP here. The place in Palm Springs that rented quads was awesome. The rental units were TRX 90s. For a novice, this is a nice quad. The layout was excellent. All kinds of donuts, figure 8 courses, a steep hill climb, and lots of time to ride.

Up the steep hill, the quad really ran out of juice. I had to downshift from 3rd to 2nd just to keep the quad moving. Other than that, the TRX 90 is a very capable unit. Ran very smooth and didn't give any problems.

I really enjoyed shifting weight and whipping the back end out. Felt very different from a dirt bike, but in a fun way.

My budget is about $1,500 and I want a unit that will be in good/great condition. So I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on Craigslist. A Raptor 125 would be awesome, but they won't 1,500. Any other ideas?

If you aren't afraid of trying your hand at pre-mix and a manual clutch, this could be a good machine for you. It will have plenty of power, but not so much that you're scared of it: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/2735944638.html

Or this might work well, too. Manual clutch, but is a 4-stroke and should last forever (its a Honda!): http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/rvs/2773674769.html

Sometimes its just fun to ride something that's small and not bulky or a handful. You can have fun on a little 50 in a yard or something but not on hills or mud.

In my opinion it's way for fun adults! I love riding the TRX90, and I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. Here is a video of me riding a brand new one and hitting top speed, filmed with a GoPro