Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible ? Front brake/Rear brake

Based on my bike and riding style. I was contemplating the benefits of having the front brake also activate the rear brake. I hate the foot brake and need the clutch lever to smooth out the gyro of my 4 stroke. Is this possible to do?

Ya I think it doable. With custom hoses. Not sure if you'd have lever force to apply both brakes adequately. I think you'd loose alot of controllability by doing this to. Personally, I wouldnt do it. But that's me.

How about a rekluse with a left hand brake kit? If not, no I dont think it would work very well. You need to be able to have modulation with the rear brake, be able to control suspension action, lock the rear end up and slide it around, etc etc. Can you do it, sure, with enough money and time but should you do it, no! Just my 2 cents.

You can do it, but I think it would be ugly for do anything besides riding down the driveway. So many variables when it comes to dirt bike braking.

It's very "do-able". BMW(I think) had a system once on one of their road bikes where the lever would apply a braking force to both wheels.

A master cylinder upgrade to push more fluid and the correct hose system is all you would need.

Would I want it on a dirt bike....definately not. Your call though.

I've seen fourwheelers at the track that have 2 lines coming off the master cylinder, one to each front wheel.

Get a fourwheeler master cylinder, one standard dirt bike front brake line and one long custom rear brake line to the rear wheel. Need a master cylinder from a four wheeler with a much larger resevoir.

you don't want equal braking at both ends, so the ATV M/C is definitely out.

If you do it strictly off lever action, you'll want a proportioning valve like a car has, so that you can set the bias front/rear. Also, for safety sake, you would probably want a 2 pot system so that you couldn't have complete failure, but that again complicates it significantly.

I think there were Honda road bikes (VFR maybe?) that had the rear brake actuated by torque on the front rotor. The piston of the rear M/C was built into the front caliper mount... if you could get one of those systems and rig it up on your CRF you might have something :lol:

Honda had a linked system that had 6 pistons on each caliper. The front lever actuated 4 pistons on the front and two on the rear. The rear actuated 4 on the rear and 2 on the front... or something along those lines.

Honda had a linked system that had 6 pistons on each caliper. The front lever actuated 4 pistons on the front and two on the rear. The rear actuated 4 on the rear and 2 on the front... or something along those lines.

Best solution! :lol: But may be expensive.

Most front calipers have two pistons and most rear calipers have one piston, so the ratios are there if you mount additional calipers on each end.

An easier solution maybe adding a left hand rear brake lever to the bike. I see a lot of advantages from operating the rear brake from the handlebars, just haven't sorted out all of the issues to do an installation. I've been contemplating a LHRB for several years for several reasons; for safety reasons I like to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, downhill right turn switchbacks, and backing the bike when making U turns on trails.

Three options for LHRB; add a clutch MC to the handlebars that connects to the rear brake MC (kits available), add another caliper to the rear (best most expensive solution), add a clutch lever/cable to the handle bar to operate the rear brake pedal (easy low tech).

A lot of the stunt riders on street bikes run a second rear caliper operated by a hand lever.

Anything is do-able. But I cant see why one would want to do this on a dirt bike. The front and rear brakes, used individually, and properly are vital in controlling the bike. But whatever floats your boat.

To test your idea you could buy or make a banjo bolt long enough to bolt an additional line on the front master cylinder and run it to the rear caliper for testing purposes. I would assume the ratios would be way off but its worth the trial and error just to test your idea.

If you do it strictly off lever action, you'll want a proportioning valve like a car has, so that you can set the bias front/rear.

+1

You need a proportioning valve.

I think this is all just a terrible idea because there are so many situations where you need to operate each brake independently.