Sign in to follow this  

my next bike: YZ250

dont have it yet but hopefully pickin up a 2010 tomorrow (monday)!

tryin to get a list together on what the 250 will need, and got some Qs

-are reeds worth purchashing?

-will 22mm offset triple clamps be worth getting for the 250? (didnt find it neccessary on a 125)

-is there anything specific i should be lookin for on the 250 when buying? other then the usual compression,bearings,etc..

-what gearing is best for moto?

any other tips,tricks,mods i should be lookin to do?

im super excited about this bike so just want to get a list together!

i would post a link but its a good price and dont want it to get jacked on me :lol: pics coming when/if i get it

Edited by AJMAG247

I have and race a stock 2010 YZ 250 with set up suspension.

If you race MX like myself, I would first and foremost get your suspension done which is necessary on any bike.

As for gearing I dropped 2 teeth in the back for I felt it was geared a bit to low and I needed 2nd gear to be more useful. 14/50 is stock and I run 14/48, now 2nd gear is taller, well of course all the gears are taller, but still has enough torque around the track.

As far as engine mods, I can't say, but it seems DEP is the way to go for a pipe, that is what I plan on getting as soon as I get some extra dough...

Get the suspension valved and sprung and go ride the damn thing before you change anything else.

-Reeds are worth purchasing, if your stock ones are worn out.

-Offset clamps are a waste of $$$ on 2-strokes IMO, it's not a 4-stroke, these bikes handle very well.

-The best gearing is the ratio which best matches the terrain your riding and your riding style. IE, it's never set in stone

The stock exhaust is also very good on YZs.

• Like 1

Get the suspension valved and sprung and go ride the damn thing before you change anything else.

-Reeds are worth purchasing, if your stock ones are worn out.

-Offset clamps are a waste of $$$ on 2-strokes IMO, it's not a 4-stroke, these bikes handle very well.

-The best gearing is the ratio which best matches the terrain your riding and your riding style. IE, it's never set in stone

The stock exhaust is also very good on YZs.

its winter i gotta change everything or ill go crazy with bordum lol.

im gonna go ahead and order a couple of sprockets now actually.

i heard somewhere that the yz250 benefeits from the offset clamps thats why i asked. i know they arnt worth it on the 125s just thought id ask for the 250s.

AJ, with your riding style, you'll probably want to go 2 up in the rear sprocket. You know how to flog a 125 and 250f, i've seen your videos....

I swap between stock and +2 in the rear, depending on the track. For example, at e-town practice track, I use a +2 rear sprocket and I'm 3rd gear tapped hitting the big double before the finish line.... but at blue diamond i run the stock tooth rear sprocket.

AJ, with your riding style, you'll probably want to go 2 up in the rear sprocket. You know how to flog a 125 and 250f, i've seen your videos....

I swap between stock and +2 in the rear, depending on the track. For example, at e-town practice track, I use a +2 rear sprocket and I'm 3rd gear tapped hitting the big double before the finish line.... but at blue diamond i run the stock tooth rear sprocket.

thanks for that bud! im gonna order up some sprockets. a +1,+2 and maybe a a -1 as well. im heading out in about 45 to go look at the bike :lol:

Its a really good bike in stock form. I also believe there are a lot of owners who never really know how good it is due to hop up parts. I cannot even coudl how many I've seen roll out of dealers with aftermarket pipes. Most take away significant low end. Even with suspension. How do you know if the revalve helped unless you tried the stock bike???

The older bikes needed a chain and front tire before they were rideable, but thats not true now.

I agree... I wouldnt change a thing until you ride it. I tried the 22mm offset clamps on my 08 and didnt like the feel. Actually made the front end feel less planted/stable to me. It already handles good as ever, it will be very similar to your 08.

I agree with BoNalls about the gearing... I think your gonna wanna go up a tooth or two on the rear since you can keep a bike in its power. I usually run a 51 or 52 rear because of my size. At 225 lbs before gear I needed that little extra down low.

If you insist on a new pipe, look at the DEP. Best overall combo on my 08 and Ive tried pretty much everything at my disposal. The rest were pretty much a step down from the stock pipe as far as overall performance. What they gained in one area they gave up in another.

To comment on the reeds, on my 96 and 03 I thought that the Boyesen Rad Valve was necessary and really woke the motor up but on my 08 it wasnt needed. I rode with the stock petals until they wore out and replaced them with a set of Boyesen Pro Series petals in the stock cage and it worked really well! I didnt feel any improvements over the stock cage... I tried the Rad Valve and the Vforce 3 and couldnt justify the cost and ended up selling them both to stick with the stock cage.

With your speed and style one other thing I would take interest in would be getting your squish corrected and have it ported. I think you would really benefit from a mid/top porting job! Other than that... I think you will be really surprised by the motor in this thing! I hope you get it man, you'll be in love instantly... perfect twin for your beautiful 125!:lol:

wow thanks for all that info! i cant wait to go take a look at this thing. i definatly wanna do something with the motor on this thing but want to ride it stock for at least one ride to see its potential and what ill want. ill probably just put a piston in it and run it a couple times then wake it up more.

the bike is all stock except for suspension which is done by factory connection so ill be sending that to them for a refresh. so hopefully tomorrow ill have some pictures to post and hopefully by the end of the winter ill have a twin of my 125 :lol:

Can't comment on the triple clamp question but I watched some of your videos .. You haul the mail man! Im interested to see a video of you on the 250 and how you like it compared to the 125

One thing Ill add is you may need to replace steering stem and linkage bearings if they were never greased when the bike was purchased. There is hardly any grease on these things from the factory and it doesnt seem to be the best grease avail. either for the application.

IDK the history on this bike but Id at least pull it apart and check them out to save yourself further damage. My buddy just had to replace his linkage and rear shock because of worn likage bearings due to lack of grease and rust in his 2010 YZ because he refused to follow my advice and take the 30 mins to pull it apart and put fresh grease in there. Luckily he found some used stuff on ebay for a good price.

yeah for sure i take everything apart and grease as need be on everything especially when its new or new to me, simple maintenance that will prevent lots of damage

Can't comment on the triple clamp question but I watched some of your videos .. You haul the mail man! Im interested to see a video of you on the 250 and how you like it compared to the 125

thanks bud. unfortunatly unless i take a winter trip somewhere no more videos until late march :) but ill definatly post up reviews and videos when i can. its gonna be hard to beat how much fun i have on the 125 tho but we'll see :lol:

The thing Im more interested in will be the 250 smoker compared to his 250f and his 450... Ive never really gotten much seat time on the 250f but one thing for sure is my 450 blows my 250s out of the water on any given day, just for the fact that I can ride it forever without getting gassed. IDK if Im any faster on it but it just hooks up in anything and takes all the effort out of riding causing fatigue.

Ill say that nothing compares to the fun of the 125, even for me at 225 lbs before gear... but the 250 obviously feels like an absolute rocket in comparison hands down even when comparing to the limited time I have on 250fs. Everyone always says Im too big for a 125 and 250f but my lap times are about 1-2 secs slower on any given day on my moderately modded (head and cylinder work, including port and polish) 125 depending on the track and how aggressive Im feeling.

if im faster on the 250 2T than for 450, the 450 is gettin sold. the 450 is cool to ride cause its fast as hell and hooks up but its no fun for me. i really only ride it in races or at broome tioga cause of the hills. other than that sadly it sits.

the 250f is fun cause i can push it and kinda ride it like a 2 stroke but its lacking power for sure and for the cost of building the motor and maintenance, its gonna stay stock.

the 125.. to much fun and i can ride it for days.

the 250 2T. TBA lol i have big expectations though