Sign in to follow this  

1985 xr 250 buying questions????

I have my eye on a 85 xr250r for 250 bucks. He said the timing chain slipped and may have done some top end damage. Do you think its worth 250 to buy it and fix it up the body looks to be in good shape. How expensive is the top end of a 250 from that year and is that a good year for the xr??? Thanks for any advice!

Run away from that bike. The suspension on the 86+ XRs is better and no motor problems.

I have my eye on a 85 xr250r for 250 bucks. He said the timing chain slipped and may have done some top end damage. Do you think its worth 250 to buy it and fix it up the body looks to be in good shape. How expensive is the top end of a 250 from that year and is that a good year for the xr??? Thanks for any advice!

The dual carb posed the heating issue which in turn cracked heads. Replacememtn heads are hard to find.

Find a bike for a little more cash and ride it home.

I agree with the others. take a pass on that bike. by the time you get done spending money on it in order to get it running, you could have paid for a better bike and rode it home.

85s can jump cam timing just like 86 up. They're all the same inside the head, valves, cam, rockers etc. Could be as simple as to pull the rocker box and reset the cam timing. It's common for all the XR250s to jump cam timing and frequently bend the intake valves. Could be the cam and rockers are trashed though and that gets real expensive fast. PArts are getting very hard to find. Overheating has nothing to do with the dual carbs and everything to do with running the oil too low. I've seen just as many or more 86 up with trashed top ends almost always from cam timing not anything else. And I know several 85s still running fine without ever being opened up.

My 85 twofifty is still running strong :lol: but as valvesrule said, keep an eye on the oil

Stay 86 or newer IMO. They had a major re design from 85 to 86.

If you call a larger but not much better fork, larger shock, alloy swingarm, 18" rear wheel, oil cooler, single carb, new tank and seat a "major" redesign. The frame and engine are nearly identical from 85 to 86. The dual carb engine is faster with better response and power than the single carbs. I'd be more inclined to call it a refinement. Without a doubt the 86 up are better in almost every aspect. Money would be better invested in the 86 and later bikes. 84 is more the issue motorwise. The 84 is missing not only the oil cooler of the 86 but also the larger oil sump of the 85. Owners of 84s should be doubly conscious of oil levels since these engines only hold about 2/3 of a quart. They will overheat easily but again this has nothing to do with the dual carbs unless jetting is also way out of the ballpark. If you got an 85 dirt cheap I wouldn't hesitate to buy but I wouldn't spend more than $100 max if it doesn't run.

If you want the best 250R, the '96 and later models are a complete redesign, engine, frame, suspension, etc. much superior to the pre '96s.

If you call a larger but not much better fork, larger shock, alloy swingarm, 18" rear wheel, oil cooler, single carb, new tank and seat a "major" redesign.

For Honda, and especially the XR line, those are some major upgrades. I never said pre 86's were turds, just that in my opinion I would stay 86 or newer if shopping for an older XR250. Oil cooler and 18" rear wheel are reason enough to me.

• Like 1

If you call a larger but not much better fork, larger shock, alloy swingarm, 18" rear wheel, oil cooler, single carb, new tank and seat a "major" redesign. The frame and engine are nearly identical from 85 to 86. The dual carb engine is faster with better response and power than the single carbs. I'd be more inclined to call it a refinement. Without a doubt the 86 up are better in almost every aspect. Money would be better invested in the 86 and later bikes. 84 is more the issue motorwise. The 84 is missing not only the oil cooler of the 86 but also the larger oil sump of the 85. Owners of 84s should be doubly conscious of oil levels since these engines only hold about 2/3 of a quart. They will overheat easily but again this has nothing to do with the dual carbs unless jetting is also way out of the ballpark. If you got an 85 dirt cheap I wouldn't hesitate to buy but I wouldn't spend more than $100 max if it doesn't run.

They hold twice that much oil