Sign in to follow this  

Can worn reeds cause a bike to run lean?

My 125 top end went out and the plug was white until now my jetting was spot on. I couldn't find any air leaks anywhere. So could my reeds be worn causing a lean condition? Bike is an 2002 yz 125. Thanks

I know it can cause it to run poorly, not sure about lean. If the reeds don't seal when they have pressure against them, then it could blow some of the fuel back past them instead of through the transfer ports. So in theory you could be lean, but I think poor performance (sputering) would be present also. I would take them out for an inspection. If they are not frayed, split or cracked, they are probably ok. Weak is certainly possible, but damage is more likely. Maybe some smoker gurus will chime in.

andrew I realize you just had that other thread about your compression being shot and as we all know a lean condition will eat a motor up QUICK!

Well I can't definitively answer that with yes, BUT I have heard on several occasions of the reeds being worn or frayed and causing an air leak/stuck throttle/lean condition so take it for what it's worth. Don't want to say positively yes but worn reeds have been known to cause a ton of problems; and it's not like it would cause it to go rich, the only way is lean!

Keep plugging away and searching though. How did you fully test for air leaks? Leak down test or spraying the motor with carb cleaner?

andrew I realize you just had that other thread about your compression being shot and as we all know a lean condition will eat a motor up QUICK!

Well I can't definitively answer that with yes, BUT I have heard on several occasions of the reeds being worn or frayed and causing an air leak/stuck throttle/lean condition so take it for what it's worth. Don't want to say positively yes but worn reeds have been known to cause a ton of problems; and it's not like it would cause it to go rich, the only way is lean!

Keep plugging away and searching though. How did you fully test for air leaks? Leak down test or spraying the motor with carb cleaner?

sorry that wrong, do your research. open reeds isnt considered an air leak since its already part of the intake path.

Thanks for the answers there is a few small spots I can see light through of the reeds which Means their worn? But if they are worn it wouldn't cause an extreme lean condition?