Sign in to follow this  

packing a spare tube

After riding today I discovered I lost my MSR front fender mounted tube pack. Of course I was home before I realized it was gone, so this raised the question of how do you carry your spare tubes?

(1) Are you packing a spare tube while riding?

(2) Are you packing a rear and front tube?

(3) Have you had good luck with packing only a 21" tube and stuffing it

in the rear tire for a tube?

(4) What tube pack is the best?

(5) Where is the best place to anchor the pack?

(6) How long can you store a tube in the pack before it gets cracked?

see below

After riding today I discovered I lost my MSR front fender mounted tube pack. Of course I was home before I realized it was gone, so this raised the question of how do you carry your spare tubes?

(1) Are you packing a spare tube while riding?

yes

(2) Are you packing a rear and front tube?

just the front

(3) Have you had good luck with packing only a 21" tube and stuffing it

in the rear tire for a tube?

yes

(4) What tube pack is the best?

Dirt Bike Gear front fender bag

(5) Where is the best place to anchor the pack?

Dirt Bike Gear front fender bag wraps around your front forks. If you use a convention front fender bag, drill holes in the fender and zip tie it.

(6) How long can you store a tube in the pack before it gets cracked?

I don't know, I end up using them within one year

No need for a rear tube as the front works fine for getting you through the rest of a ride no problem. i carry the thinnest,basic froint one ( itself wrapped in a cut section from another old tube for protection) behind my headlight, on my 05 bike i could fit one in the air box. no biggie that its cheap and thin because i only need it to get me back to the truck .

Joe

i have more than one bike, and i've seen many a lost fender pack, so I carry a light front tube in my camelback. I've used the front tube in the rear tire on numerous occasions.

I bought a Tusk tube bag from Rocky Mountain. It's cheap and comes with tire irons fitted inside. I made up a fender with an Acerbis brace that has been kicking around my garage for a decade or so and more or less permanently fixed the stuff all together. All I need to do is swap out the tube bag fender and ride. I stick a 21 in there and hope I never need it. I have actually needed it only once. It came in handy when I did.

Great. Now I will only pak a 21" tube now that I know I can stuff it in a rear tire to get back to the truck if I need to.

Although I do question how the Dirtbike spare tube pack attaches to the fork. One bike I like to take in the back country is the Wr. It has a lot electrical hardware where I believe this pack would attach. The Dirtbike hardware site will not load the instructions so I can not tell if they have taken this bike into consideration as well.

For the next ride I will try placing a light 21" tube in my Camelback mule and see how that feels on my torso.

Thanks