Sign in to follow this  

California off for 5 weeks, ready to ride

work slowed down so I took the rest of some PTO I had ill be off for the next 5 weeks lol, Im ready to go riding, hit me up :lol:. I'm just outside of sacramento, down for wherever

What kind of skill level are you? How many miles do you typically like to do in a day?

What kind of skill level are you? How many miles do you typically like to do in a day?

good question. someone should start a thread in the N. Ca. forum where everyone can post their skill level, type of riding they prefer and availability.

I'm not asking for a pissing contest. Just like to be on the same page with people that I'm going to ride with. Nothing is worse than riding with someone who wants to ride 50 more or less miles than you do in a day.

Most of us ride in groups of both familiar and unfamiliar riders. Sometimes we group ride on familiar and not so familiar trails.

It is especially important when meeting up with an unfamiliar group to establish some etiquette for the ride. This type of ride gathering happens quite often on TT and other forums. Expectations, such as what type of trail, terrain or speed, but also, what everyone’s responsibilities’ are to the group.

Not all riders adhere to the same ride principles as you or I do, so you need to establish these expectations early on and before the ride.

-Will the ride leader(s) stop at each intersection to ensure the group follows the change in direction?

-Will each rider take periodic glances to check on the rider behind them?

-What is the procedure(s) to follow if you get separated from the group?

-Does everyone know and follow the proper hand signal protocol.

If the group is 'Every man for himself', then you have a decision to make.

What other group ride etiquette practices does your group use to stay together on the trail?

Maybe this thread should be moved to the General Forum.

If the ride plan is an adult ride, don't walk up to the awaiting group, with your 7 year old on a PW80, and ask if he/she could ride along.

'Can little Doofus ride with us. He has never been to the.....before. I will watch out for him and he is pretty fast on the Briggs&Stratton we picked up at Auto-Zone.'

Yeah, we'll all be waiting at the bottom of each whoop for the both of you, thanks....

Well trails im intermediate but track beginner. I grew up on 11 acres in calaveras and been riding anything with 2 wheels for about 25 years but I just recently got into track riding. I've spent alot of time riding trails and love long loops. Im rocking a 98 yz400f and I am a mc technician so I always come prepared. Im free on Sunday the 11th and want to ride maybe stoney depending on conditions or maybe georgetown

An honest assesment of your riding skill is a tough thing. Unless you have ridden with a group before and know whether you are capable of the trails you are being led on you might find yourself in over your head so to speak. Believe me I have been on many rides where i was the one everyone else was waiting on. This can become frustrating for both the rest of the group and the slow rider. A little paitence and understanding goes a long ways. However you should know what you are getting into as well. It is the responsability of the leader of the ride to let the new guy in on what they are going to encounter. And for the new guy to make sure the leader knows they may have trouble keeping up if the trail gets gnarly.

I have basically come to the conclustion that since I am a diabetic and have had difficulty with long rides in the past that I will forgo the long 50 mile plus rides. I hate to think the rest of the group looks at me as a nuisence or a hinderance. I dont like relying on others to make sure I am ok. It isnt their problem. I always let everyone know I am old and slow. That way they dont assume I am a skill level I am not. If you have ridden at all you should do your homework. Know the trail signal system. Know to stop at the trail juntion for the next guy in line to see where you are going. Then they wait for the next guy and so on. The rest of the group should never leave someone behind and I have never encountered this on any ride I have been a part of. No matter how much of a pain it might be to wait for the slowest guy. If you start with 6 you ahould have 6 at the end of the day.

Ok ill step off the soapbox now just my take on the subject. Oldskoo11

I'll be riding a Georgetown on Sunday if any wants to join in.you must be able to ride you own bike up hills.

good question. someone should start a thread in the N. Ca. forum where everyone can post their skill level, type of riding they prefer and availability.

Please start this thread as so we can have some comedic entertainment for the holidays.

:banghead::lol: you guys totally hijacked my thread :)

so does anyone wanna ride on sunday the 11th, i might consider going to carnegie but it seems like its a park like prarie city and i kinda want to do some nice loops and woods work anyone interested??

I'll be riding a Georgetown on Sunday if any wants to join in.you must be able to ride you own bike up hills.

hahaha have you had to ride someones bike up the hill lol. last time I rode g-town i was on a cr125 and was fine, im sure ill do fine on my 400 what time and where do you want to meet

lol , the next time i ride with you, im just gonna pretend to get stuck so you have to ride my bike up for me :lol:

Please start this thread as so we can have some comedic entertainment for the holidays.

i just might

so does anyone wanna ride on sunday the 11th, i might consider going to carnegie but it seems like its a park like prarie city and i kinda want to do some nice loops and woods work anyone interested??

i already promised my buddy i would meet him at carnegie sunday. if he flakes, ill mett up with you guys at GT.

hahaha have you had to ride someones bike up the hill lol. last time I rode g-town i was on a cr125 and was fine, im sure ill do fine on my 400 what time and where do you want to meet

im going to try and get ther around 9 or so.ill be in my truck with a ktm and honda

we for what its worth i just moved up from squid to supper squid, 15f productions even made a movie about my ridding skill.