Sign in to follow this  

Cheapest fix for a damaged radiator

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my DRZ. I clipped something on a ride through some tight stuff and have completely sheared part of the radiator off, where the lowest shroud bolt attaches to the radiator. The obvious problem now is that the shroud flaps around in the breeze and is liable to get caught on something.

I live in Vanuatu and getting new parts is quite tricky and expensive. For example, most ebay sellers won't post to Vanuatu so you have to get stuff sent to Aus then forwarded by a friend. Then when it arrives here you have to pay between 15 - 30% duty on the item and the freight, then 12.5% GST on the item, the freight and the duty - so your $180 item has suddenly become a $300 item!!!

Other than just securing it with tie wire or zip ties, does anyone have any good suggestions? The local welding shop have told me it can't be welded...

RadiatorDamage.jpg

Thanks for the advice CraigoDRZ400sm - when you say soldering, do you mean soldering with a $20 soldering iron and some rosin core solder, or something more industrial? Will any of the methods you mentioned, brazing, soldering welding or epoxy result in a bond strong enough to support the shroud mount? Can I weld it using an arc welder? If so what rods do I need?

I was also considering a set of radiator guards as chooken mentioned.

Keep an eye on ebay , another used may come up cheap.....

I would do a "Saved search"..That way an email gets sent to you when that item appears on there...

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=DRZ+400+Right+Radiator+&_sacat=0&_dmpt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=DRZ+400+Radiator+right&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Thanks for the advice CraigoDRZ400sm - when you say soldering, do you mean soldering with a $20 soldering iron and some rosin core solder, or something more industrial? Will any of the methods you mentioned, brazing, soldering welding or epoxy result in a bond strong enough to support the shroud mount? Can I weld it using an arc welder? If so what rods do I need?

I was also considering a set of radiator guards as chooken mentioned.

Watch this...

And the top vid on this link...http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/durafix-aluminum-welding-rods.html

Alternatively JB weld will do the job...

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/how-to-repair-an-aluminum-radiator

Use epoxy if you want a Band Aid fix i.e. temporary. While it has is uses for emergency situations not the best way to fix a radiator. Yea it may work, but for how long? We're talking about a leaky radiator aren't we? Soldering would be the best way, a radiator shop could do that for you and pressure check.

If it's just the mounting tab you might be able to fabricate another bracket and attach it to the side. Again solder on a bracket or potentialy pop rivet the bracket in place. Be careful not to get into the cooling tubes of the radiator.

"If it works, DON'T FIX IT!" It's my motto and I seldom practice it :lol:

Last time I tried straightening that same ear in my radiator started a leak and I've been waiting for more than three weeks for a new radiator to arrive (Maybe not as expensive as shipped to Vanatu but same exasperating hassle).

I'd try to fabricate a "C" shaped bracket out of #22ga metal and secure the shroud to the mounting bolt at the frame.

I dont know if youve already decided what to do about it but those aluminum brazing rods work excellent. ive fixed alot of things with it including radiators. just be carefull and practice a bit with it first if youve never used it. you dont have to melt the base aluminum just get it hot enough that the rod itself melts when you touch it to the aluminum

really interesting , Propane torch won't heat enough right?

propane torch will get a lot of stuff hot enough it just depends on how much aluminum your trying to heat. I think the rods melt at around 760ºF so its really not that hot. propanes good to use anyways if you dont have much experience with welding or brazing aluminum, its easy to melt right through with oxy-fuel if you dont know what your looking for.

just watched the second video and it looks like hes actually using a regular propane torch in that one. he also specifies 730ºF for that brand rod

The radiator does not leak at the moment. I have reattached the piece with epoxy and I will see how long it lasts at this stage - I'm not particularly hopeful but none of the welders in town wanted to go anywhere near it, there are no dedicated radiator shops here, and I didn't want to make the problem worse. I guess if it comes apart again I'll spring for a new radiator... Thanks for all the suggestions.

I hope the epoxy works out for you.....surface preparation is important to help achieve a good bond.....The radiator heat will help cure it....Maybe run the bike with out the shroud for a couple of ride to reduce the stress on the join until maximum cure is achieved..