Sign in to follow this  

My IMS tank cracked

My IMS tank cracked this weekend. it is 2 years old. i saw gas all over my motor late in the day yesterday and pulled the tank off. the tank has a hairline crack next to one of the mounts. when i installed the mounts i torqued the bolts to factory spec and did not over tighten them. i am super bummed. i contacted IMS to see if they will warranty it. anybody else have this happen? i guess it could have been stress? i have been riding more mx lately and doing more jumping than usual. however, i would hope a $275 fuel tank would last more than 2 years. :lol:

Warranty after 2 years? I would not believe that they give that.

me neither. just curious if they will offer a discount on a new one? never had a gas tank fail before.

My bud's IMS on his YZ split open at the base of the threads on the filler neck. Its split 2/3 of the way around. Sucks that an expensive tanks cracks.

My bud's IMS on his YZ split open at the base of the threads on the filler neck. Its split 2/3 of the way around. Sucks that an expensive tanks cracks.

did ims do anything for him?

i just spoke to ims.....great guys!!!!! they said if the tank was less than 1 year old they will replace it no questions asked. there is a 4 digit number on the bottom side of tank for mm/yy. He said if it was older than one year he would replace it $100. now that's customer service!!!!!!!

good to know man, i have IMS tanks on my YZ and my WR.

tell your bud to check the date stamped on the tank. it is 4 raised numbers down by the petcock. mm/yy. even if the tank is more than one year old, if you bought it within one year of the failure and you have paperwork they will replace it no charge. if it has been more than one year they will replace it for $100. they retail for $275. if he calls tell him to ask for steve.

Thats pretty reasonable. It would be nice if it did not brake, but a hundred is not a lot anymore.

IMS is like that because they have a ton of experience with their tanks getting returned due to cracks. I like their stuff better than Clarke, but it seems every time I hear about someone getting a new tank, they run into problems.

i hear you but we do take these products and drag them through the dirt for years. imagine trying to get a warranty on your plastic after 2 years? sure a gas tank shouldnt fail but it's was still pretty cool that they didnt tell me to get bent. the tank had 100's of hours on it.

My IMS tank cracked on the weekend. :)

I need to replace it so hoping they give me some good customer service

are you guys running the OEM check valve on the gas cap breather tube ?

are you guys running the OEM check valve on the gas cap breather tube ?

Yep. just make sure its working (not clogged) otherwise you could pressurize the tank, is that what you were getting at?

they cause more crack tanks than any thing else.....the first thing I ever did to any YZ was remove it....

I believe the IMS instructions made mention of the rubber under the stock tank being too thick. Not that their tank was designed around the original steel frame, with a smaller backbone.....Nope, we're supposed to use thinner rubber as a tank pad. OK, I guess.

Still, for a hundred....well, it ought to hold up no matter what. I suspect a big break out in a hot, dry, overgrown desert might get the rider, and IMS, a bunch of unwanted attention.

Straight through breather being used here.

The Zipty version I have only uses one tank mount.

Maybe this is partly to blame but it should be designed to hold up.

Last thing you want out in the middle of no where is a busted tank.

the guys at ims said most failures they see are due to over torquing the mounts or the bolts that hold the petcock in place.

My IMS tank cracked on the weekend. :)

I need to replace it so hoping they give me some good customer service

check the date as posted above. they might send you a free one or if its more than 1 year old a new for $100.