Sign in to follow this  

FMF powercore 4 muffler question

My bike is too loud to pass the decible test at Hollister (96) and I was wondering if this muffler was quiet enough to be legal? They seem to be readily available on ebay and priced reasonably. MY XR400 has a white brothers can on it that is unusually loud

I would say, no, not without the quiet core insert you'll need to buy for it.

There's also the FMF Q4. That should bolt right up, alone, and meet dB requirements. I like mine.

I used to have a PC4 on my 400EX back in the day and they are loud @$$ pipes. Louder than my XR with the open 96-97 OEM tip. I highly doubt it would be an improvement over what you have. If you can find one, try a Leo Vince Enduro X3 (?). They used to list them as available on motorcycle superstore for about $280. Slightly cheaper than a Q4 and they come with a few different tips, the quietest being 94db.

i really like my q4.. quiet when you need it ie creeping through town at midnight... but when you romp on it you can hear the thing... couldn t be happier...

I have a powercore 4 on my xr250 (came with the bike). I put the quiet insert in and a 3/4" copper reducer on the inside of the quiet tip. My exhaust tests at 91db (3500 rpm) at events. The same setup on a 400 would probably be a little louder.

• Like 1

I have a friend of a friend who works at FMF and here is what he said:

The DB Level on a Powercore 4 right out of the box is roughly 96 to 99 DB’s. After the exhaust insert this should bring it down to about 94 to 96DB’s.

Good luck.