Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Tap tips?

Hey I was day dreaming about the snow melting and going riding, and I was wondering if anyone has thought about the technique that goes into wheel tapping/clipping a jump face?

I do it completely with out thinking i guess, at the end of a low rhythm section or whoops section usually - or there's one jump that's a kind of step up that only a couple people can triple, and I can jump almost over the second peak, and then bounce off of it onto the last one.

I think I typically pull up, like a bit of a fender kiss, and then let the kick level the bike out for the landing.

Has anyone thought about it? I searched and there's only one or two threads where it's even been mentioned :lol:

I've never heard the word wheel tap before, but your description kinda makes sense I guess. Its one of the things I like about stiffer suspension, because you can literally tap the lip of an obstacle and get boost. Instead of your wheels being on the ground to transition between obstacles that are close together, you can throttle out of one obstacle and get boost off the next one. You see it in supercross and national races all the time.

I honestly don't think about it, but do it on a regular basis, dragon's back style obstacles are kinda common around here and thats where you use that skill.

TWMX covered that technique in the April 2011 issue. They called it "tapping the face"....

The technique you are speaking of is an advanced one to say the least. It sounds like you have it mostly figured out. I don't want to confuse you, but if you think about how you go through stadium style woops you are wheel tapping at both ends of the bike the entire way through. Think about your body motion and the motion of the bike when each wheel touches or taps an obstacle. Your speed, body position, and use of the controls along with many other variables come into play when wheel tapping.

This is such an advanced technique that by the time you can do it you will have had many, many hours of seat time and it just becomes natural or instinctive. If I had to teach it and give tips I would start here: I would have the rider start by using a jump that provides a flat landing and have them practice flat landing back wheel first to get used to the forces applied to your body when this happens. Then move to a small roller type section and let them practice wheelie'ng? through them and gradually increasing speed until they can wheel tap across the top of at least three of them without the rear wheel falling into the valley or transition of the next roller and the front wheel not touching the ground. Then they will know the force it takes on the foot pegs and handle bars to achieve such a technique. From there it is all about speed and instinct.

So as far as the tips go to clean you up on an advanced technique you are already doing... hit the section over and over trying different forces on the pegs, bars, body position, and throttle angle until you get the outcome you are looking for. You can generally lower the front end if you use more throttle angle or rpm, and body position is farther to the rear, of course depending on the traction and angle of the face you are tapping off of. You could also find a roller section and practice what I mentioned earlier at different speeds to hone your skill without the serious consequence of a full tilt jump. See what I mean about variables? I'm sure I could explain it better but I'm out of time for now.

Edited by kx450f63
  • Like 1