Sign in to follow this  

yz250 2006 rear caliper problems

so i noticed that the rear caliper on my 2006 yz250 has worn like i have never seen before. the 2 small arms of the caliper that support the back side of the inside pad have become "warped/damaged from use" to the point that the pad dosent sit on the rotor correctly. i found a picture of a 2007 yz250 caliper on ebay that had the same problem.

i know that in 2006 the yz250 rear caliper was downsized from a 2005 cause they sometimes contacted the silencer. anyone know why yamaha changed the part numbers on the 2009 yz250? was it due to this problem?

i already have a honda front brake assembly, is there a rear caliper that would work too?

A) a new caliper is 160$+ shipping and i cant find a good used caliper anywhere.

:lol: although everyone on ebay thinks the 125/250f/450f rear caliper will fit it is not the same part number as the 06-08 yz250 2stroke. can anyone confirm a 450f caliper will fit? what year?

07YZ25025072.jpg

Weird problem, never noticed anything like that before, but I've never thought to look!

I would bet the 125/250/250f/450f used similar enough calipers to be swapped around.

I'm just speculating though.

They should all swap... The swingarm, axle and the wheels are the same.

Check the diagrams or photos to make sure the brake hose attaches in a similar way.

2007 the four strokes got the new smaller brakes.

2008 the two strokes got the new smaller brakes.

i think you guys are referring to the front caliper. im talking about the rear. Btw, im sure the 06-08 rear caliper is the same part number and was replaced with the 09+ part number.

(4) 2006 rear brake caliper. The large rear brake caliper from 2005 was replaced with a smaller rear brake caliper that was lower for more clearance against the silencer. The brake pad material and bleed screw were also updated.

(8) 2008 front brake caliper. The front brake caliper was downsized in 2008, and wave-style rotors were added.

source:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2011-YAMAHA-YZ250-MOTOCROSS-TEST-THE-BIKE-WED-ALL-7809.aspx

You aren't the only one with this problem. My 05 has worn the supports back at quite an angle, and my pads wear accordingly. I think the issue is just dust/dirt getting between the backer of the pad and the caliper, then when you hit the brakes it acts like sandpaper. The thin soft aluminum legs lose, and are worn down.

Wasn't bad on my last pad change, but when I swapped this summer it had worn a great deal more. My new inside pad sits so crooked that there is about a 1/8" gap at the bottom of the pad to the rotor. My rear brakes BARELY worked because only the top edge of the inside pad was meeting the rotor.

Didn't have time to get a caliper before the next day's ride, so I just ran it that way. Pad quickly chamfered to the new angle and now everything works fine, so I wasn't in a big hustle to swap calipers (since now I'll need new, flat pads again too). Hoping to pick up a caliper this winter and swap it when I do my next pad change.

I know it's kinda ghetto. But could you not just file the arms down level again?

The F bikes calipers fit. I know this because I fitted one on the 06 YZ250 I used to own. The whole assembly will swap over.

Speaking of which I have a few rear assemblies in my garage, if you are interested, PM me.

I believe the oem caliper is an assembly, supplied with pads. Since Yamaha uses several different rear pad compounds, this might explain a part number variation.