Sign in to follow this  

lift front wheel to clear a big log

How do you lift the front wheel up (wheelie) to clear a big log? There was a lot of down trees on the trail. And they just about killed me from exhaustion of having to man handle the bike over the trees. I might have broken my back lifting the bike by myself; I was riding solo. The XR200 is a heavy bike, considering my low power it is! There're lots of info on popping wheelies, but only on high power MX bikes. They just twist throttle and wheel pops up. When I do it on XR200, nothing happens. And on tight trail, I have to approach the log at very slow speed. Please teach me how on a low powered XR200?

For most logs up to about 16" diameter, just shift your weight back, keep the front light and apply throttle as necessary.

It takes practice, know when your bike makes power and keep the revs there, downshift if necessary. I usually approach slowly, in the proper gear, unload the forks and at the last second give a little throttle to get the front wheel up and over. Momentum is your friend and the bike should make it over. If you do get stuck, it is easier to lift the back wheel over than the whole bike.

+1, most small steps and small logs don't require lofting the front wheel, the front suspension will absorb the impact. But unweighting the front wheel helps, you can use a combination of ways; 1. standing with weight back, 2. body weight transfer, and 3. throttle. No 1 is not good for large logs and it is important to stand for logs.

Trials riders lift the front wheel without engine power, a little well timed throttle adds lift. The other issue is no power when the rear wheel hits the log but adding a second throttle blip helps the rear wheel climb.

Next time you go riding find a log smaller enough that you can ride over while standing and is easy to turn around so you can use it for practice. Approach in first gear and practice unweighting the front wheel, you will find it takes practice to develop the timing. Then practice lifting the front wheel timed so it touches the top of the log, timing for this is harder than the first exercise. Throttle for lifting is just a well timed blip, any more and the bike picks up too much speed.

Also check out the Trials bike forum for more info and links to videos.

Top end may be worn or the jetting may be slightly off. Recently rebuilt a 200 with a fresh piston and rings and rejetted and it made an incredible difference in the bikes ability to lift the front wheel. Now it pops it up no problem where lots of body english was required before.

find somewhere to practice using your clutch to pop your from wheel off the ground. for most obstacles you only need to lift your front wheel 12-16 inches. its a good technique to know, not just for log encounters.

First an XR200R is not a heavy bike. Few bikes are lighter. Next a XR200R is easy to loft wheel. With or without clutch use. Practice. Loft wheel and place just before top of log to get maximum lift over the log. Smooth power into the log with only a slight roll off to maintain traction.

Yep. As Dwight said, you don't need, or want, the front wheel to completely clear the obstacle. You want the front to hit the log near the top. Pretty easy to do this on a 200.

I still can't seem to loft the front wheel. I guess I'm don't have enough body english. On the other hand, I just bought a KDX220, and the front will lift without me even trying. The first time scared the bejesus out of me.

you need to pop the clutch a xr200 they are not exactly powerful

watch this

I've jumped logs with XR200s since the early eighties and you don't need to pop the clutch, but you do need to use body English. The Trials section has some pointers on using body English to loft the front wheel.

Two things will help a stock XR200; install a 12 tooth counter shaft sprocket and if that doesn't help enough pull the muffler baffle.