Sign in to follow this  

Are all model year XR200 and XR250L brake lever the same?

I'm trying to dualsport my XR200R 2002 model year. So I need a way to activate the brake light. I bought a mechanical switch for the foot brake, but on my 2002 model, I don't see anyway to mount it. So I'm looking for hand lever from a factory street legal XR. Those, I belive, have an internal switch.

You need a universal switch, EME (sp) makes one that I have on a plated MX bike. The switch clamps to the frame tube that runs up from the swing arm pivot. a spring (supplied) and a length of safety wire connect to a hole drilled in the brake pedal.

There are also some brake lever assemblies that have provisions for a brake light switch, youll need to shop around.

Edited by chuck4788

I had to get creative to mount the rear brake switch on my bike, made a little "L" bracket secured with a hose clamp to the frame tube.

For the front brake switch there are universal perches available with switches built in.

If you have the stock front drum brakes the XR250L perch would not work, it is for hydraulic brakes. Best bet would be a perch and lever from an early 80's full size XL model with a front drum.

I have 83 and 84 XL200R's which were street legal from the factory and a 98 XR200R that I designed the lighting system for. The XL perch and lever assembly will fit on the XR, both models use the same cable. The XL perch is not available new last time I checked.

On my wife's 2000 xr200 the universal switch is mounted on an L bracket (from the Baja Designs kit) which is bolted the small cross brace that is between the frame tube and the subframe tube.

i have a brake lever off a xr250 or early 80s xl200 with a brand new brake switch in it. Worked great. Name a price and it yours. I had it on my xr200.

I am parting out one of my xr200r's. I also have a tusk turn signal switch and wiring harness w/ led turn signal switch. I had the wiring harness on AC with a regulator and when i got it inspected i would just unplug a wire and hook up the tusk battery.

Edited by dbwarfare2000
woops