Sign in to follow this  

1982 IT465 fork setting ?

I am rebuilding a 1982 IT465 and need to know what the standard fork tube height setting is - distance from top of upper triple clamp to the top of the fork tube. I cant find this number anywhere, only pictures whcih show the forks above the top clamp which looks like 130-150mm. ANybody know about where the forks should be set to get to a stock setting?

I'm not sure there is a standard setting, rather a range. Usually, they stick out of the top clamps about 1 to 1.25 inches. The point was to be able to change the front attitude, and the rake and trail somewhat by doing that. For tight stuff, slide them up, for desert use, slide them down. You may be able to carefully look at the tubes and see where they sort much of their life. That should be close.

I Agree, We used to adjust the forks on all of our old Yamarhamars !!! My 82 465 came with about an inch and a half above the top clamp, switching to the 87 yz490 front end , i will no longer have this luxury to adjust, the forks taper down just below the clamps !!

I run an '82 fork set on my '80 YZ465. Currently running 40MM above the top clamp.

130MM? Nah.

10-1.jpg