Sign in to follow this  

Washington Saddle Mountain / Mattawa... conditions report for Dec. 4

A bunch of us went there yesterday and staged by the dunes. Thinking early winter with moisture in the ground, conditions should be good...wrong!

Sand dunes were the deepest/softest I have seen in years. The hill climbs out of the dune were very loose not to mention heading straight up into the sun made it interesting.

Gulley and draw trails were soft in spots with a lot of dust.

The fence that the rancher finished (haven't been there since last winter) really has decimated the area. We tried to find access to our favorite gulleys with no luck.:) Can't even get to the cabin.

But.... a good, fun day with riding buddies.:lol:

A bunch of us went there yesterday and staged by the dunes. Thinking early winter with moisture in the ground, conditions should be good...wrong!

Sand dunes were the deepest/softest I have seen in years. The hill climbs out of the dune were very loose not to mention heading straight up into the sun made it interesting.

Gulley and draw trails were soft in spots with a lot of dust.

The fence that the rancher finished (haven't been there since last winter) really has decimated the area. We tried to find access to our favorite gulleys with no luck.:) Can't even get to the cabin.

But.... a good, fun day with riding buddies.:lol:

They made the cabin off limits about the same time the fence started going up.

When we rode there last May we did find a way to go down all the old Ravines but about 2/3 to 1/2 way down the fence prevents you from going any farther. Someone had cut the fence and removed the post in the middle of the trail but we turned around out of respect for property rights.

It may be someone has closed off the narrow path to these trails although it looked like it was not their property or they would have fenced it.

The area is a patchwork of private property and BLM land. We noticed that after about 3 weeks of riding there the sand was as you described it. In the early spring after heavy rains it was great but quickly turned into quick sand because of heavy use. The Green Dots opened up and so we didn't ride there anymore.

If it hadn't been so cold last Saturday Dec. 3, Jay and I had planned on riding there.

Yeah, we were disappointed to see the fence closing off so much land. I was under the impression that there was more BLM land interspersed with private land to the east that was okay to ride.

And yes, it was fun day of riding but very dry making the sandy areas pretty soft.

And yes, it was fun day of riding but very dry making the sandy areas pretty soft.

So, you're sayin it wasn't a good day for a try at Haebeck's? :lol:

No... without a paddle, it was difficult to get around the dunes let alone an attempt at Haebecks.

I made it up through the rocky/sandy stuff but once I hit the pure sand I only got about another 100' before losing traction.