Sign in to follow this  

Reed valve?

I recently put togeather a 2007 rmz 450 bottom end. I am confused as to where and what the purpose of the reed valve is, i have pictures of the case but dont know where it was suposed to go, help please

I know that, but my rmz450 manual shows a type of reed valve that bolts to the stator side case, thats what im asking about, it shows it on diagrams too

not sure about the 07', but on an 08' it looks to go between the cases, bottom of motor just behind the crank.. Hope that helps a little.

the reed valve prevents dirty oil from other compartments to enter the bottom end of the motor, but allows cleaner oil from the bottom end to enter the stator and tranny compartments (one way valve). the lubrication system is set up so that it draws dirty oil from the tranny through strainers aned filters before its pumped to the engine side. the reed valve lets the oil reenter the tranny but not the other way around

• Like 1

Thank you, i figured it was something like that, if i put a picture of the cases up can you tell me where they go, my manual dosent have any good pictures

10132_5.gif

by the looks of it, it bolts into the left side crank case from the inside (you need to have the cases split and should fit just behind the crank. get me a pic of the left side case from the inside and i may be able to help.

your pictures flipped but lets work off of it... look in the tranny compartment and there you will see the smaller bearing which holds the primary transmission shaft (the shaft that holds the clutch). you will notice that below and to the left of this bearing (next to the clutch actuator arm cavity) there are three holes: im pretty sure that the larger hole should be the oil passage, and the two smaller holes just above this should be threaded to hold the reed valve assy in. too bad we didnt catch this the first time you had it apart... i will try and double check this for you

bingo, thank you, i'll have to make sure to get that put in, it dosent really matter that i missed it the first time, at least i caught it before the whole thing was togeather, i forgot to torqe down the primary drive gear anyway haha, one more dumb mistake. I'll take it apart agian and make sure its right this time, thanks a million

no problem, but its funny. all the spare cases on the internet seem to have forgotten to install this, or dont sell them with the cases. i can understand that its just a breather so not that crucial to the machines operation, when not installed

the reeds? i never expected to find reeds in a 4 stroke motor, that suprised me, honestly when i posted this i was expecting not much help and a bunch of people telling me 4 strokes dont have reeds and me saying thank you captain obvious, its good to know someone knows what there talking about

yes, unfortunately people dont seem to realize that a reed valve is a mechanism that is quite widely used device, as opposed to being 2-stroke specific.