Sign in to follow this  

2004 250f refurbish or upgrade to newer 2007

Hi,

So winter is coming and I am going to start updating/modding my 04. Paid 1600, thinking new sprockets, chain, tires,valve job and maybe new piston rings($$600 all in?). If I do that would the bike be refreshed or would I be better off selling it and using proceeds to buy newer model? If I keep it what else would you guys upgrade? I love the suspension, have the new fuel screw set up and jetted really good.

My buddy has a 05 250x he just did the piston and rings. The valves were still godd he said it had more power for sure. There a good bike all around.

I say unless you were looking into newer than 2007, then I'd just go over your 04 (assuming it's not in really bad shape). I didn't really think that the 06-09s were that much better than the previous generation. I still thought the front end had a slight push to it and I do not get that with the 2010+ chassis. The 04 is a good bike and is known to be bullet-proof so if it's serving it's purpose for you, I think you'd be better off keeping/upgrading it than to sell it for a 07. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Hi,

So winter is coming and I am going to start updating/modding my 04. Paid 1600, thinking new sprockets, chain, tires,valve job and maybe new piston rings($$600 all in?). If I do that would the bike be refreshed or would I be better off selling it and using proceeds to buy newer model? If I keep it what else would you guys upgrade? I love the suspension, have the new fuel screw set up and jetted really good.

All the stuff you listed your looking at $800-$900 in parts/labor(getting valve seats cut), and to top that off you just know you will find more issues with bearings etc so expect $1000 to refresh that bike up.

Like said above, unless your going to go all the way at get a 2010 plus, may as well keep that 04 since it is a good bike.