Sign in to follow this  

Heating the flywheel

Okay, did something stupid...

I pulled the flywheel of using a normal puller, It was so tight so I figured that heating the flywheels center part will do the job and it did.

The question is that could the flywheel be damaged from heating?(there are magnets in side?)

:cheers: did you catch on fire?:)

Thank for stabbing...:banghead:

It must be quite hot when you ride, maybe 100-150 degrees celsius, so maybe there was no harm done or there was... No sleep to night...:lol:

Just something that happened the other day.....

Let a friend borrow my fly wheel puller and impac wrench to pull his flywheel to add a flywheel weight. He called me and said its not working, that he could not get the fly wheel off. Went to his house to see what he was doing. The goofball had screwed the crank shaft protecting cover nut from the puller set on all the way till it was hitting the fly wheel and was holding it in place. Loosened the protective nut and fly wheel was loose and came off by hand........

The Curie point (the temperature where it looses its magnetism) of most magnets is over 350*C. You should be fine.

There is an issue though...The CRF450 has specific flywheel puller to it. If you used a standard Honda flywheel puller, you more than likely have destroyed the crankshaft.

I have oem new crank so no worries about that old crank...

If i had heaten the flywheel to 350c the oil on it should had been smoking but there was no such thing so maybe no worries about it.

Thanks