Sign in to follow this  

2006.. greyish transmission oil but no antifreeze missing?

My transmission oil is coming out greyish when i change my oils, Since i bought the bike 2 summers ago i haven't had to add any water/antifreeze to the bike. Is the clutch breaking down or moisture sneaking in somehow?

Clutch may be slipping. Check pressure plate and bottom of basket for wear. The aluminum wearing off those parts will turn the oil grayish and also make the tranny notchy to shift.

I had a similar problem with my 06. I was using castrol 10-40, switched to rotella, problem stopped. I figured the cheap castrol just couldnt handle the heat/friction in the tranny. 3+ years with rotella, still no problems.

Probably coming from the clutch... Do you notice any slippage in the clutch? What kind of oil you using on the Tranny side?

I haven't noticed any slippage at all. I put the exact oil that my manual said so we will see what that does next change. This is my 3rd crf450 (03, 07, and this is a 06) and ive always used autozone 4stroke motorcycle oil...think its valvoline, and i've never had a problem like this.

All of the CRF's that I've been around have a grayish tint to the transmission oil. That seems to be the normal color.

Mine was grey but my basket was notched up somethin fierce. So I put in a Hinson. Havnt rode it yet.

My 250x and my 450R both do this, I remeber reading on there that it was something to do with what Honda uses in the clutch and that it is normal....So I never thought about it again.. Maybe I should do some more looking around and or take a look at my clutch.