Sign in to follow this  

Quick question, converting an S to SM, rear swing arm

Hi all

im thinking of converting the swing arm of my S to the SM style ones (i run 17" sm wheels)

Apart form the SM swing arm, do i need any other parts for the conversion?

thanks

The brakes are different, you will need the sm brake caliper and rotor, also hopefully the sm swingarm you have will have the chain adjusters otherwise you'll need them too since they are different.

thanks for reply, i will have the rear axle/block adjuster

won't my S calliper work on it? and do any one know if i will need a different shock?

thanks for reply, i will have the rear axle/block adjuster

won't my S calliper work on it? and do any one know if i will need a different shock?

You won't need a different shock. The swingarms have identical measurements aside from the chain adjuster style.

The E/S and SM have different diameter rear rotors, the SM being a bit larger. I'm pretty sure (meaning someone who knows for sure, please chime in) that you can use your E/S caliper, caliper bracket and E/S rotor with the sm swingarm.

Can anyone verify this? Unless you really 'need' a larger rear rotor, can't really imagine why, it might save you some $$ to keep what you have and just mount it up to the sm swinger.

Nope.........you will need the rear brake caliper, caliper carrier, and rotor for the conversion.

Bronco (EMarquez) is doing the same thing right now, and confirmed the needed parts. Most of us thought that you didn't need to swap the caliper, but we learned otherwise....I'll dig up his thread for you.......stand by......

Hi all

im thinking of converting the swing arm of my S to the SM style ones (i run 17" sm wheels)

Apart form the SM swing arm, do i need any other parts for the conversion?

thanks

Requires confirmed list of:

Swing arm

Axle

Adjuster blocks

Brake caliper mount

Brake caliper

Brake Rotor

Chain slider