Sign in to follow this  

I cannot set my race sag correctly.

Sorry for the lame question and I have read everything I can find but my brain hurts now. I put a stiffer spring on my KTM 350XCF-W. I weigh 190# not geared up and I put the stiffer KTM spring per the manual (72 N/MM) .

The manual states I need 110mm race sage and about 34 mm free sag. At the correct free sag, my race sag is about 140mm (I forget). I have my race sag set to 105mm now which makes my free sag 5 mm. I cannot imagine the spring is too stiff as the recommended weight for the spring starts a 187#.

And yes I take the free sag measurements in riding gear.

I am just pissed off and confused now. Any advice would help greatly.

Thanks,

MF

you need much stiffer spring-

How the hell is that possible? I am at the low end of the weight on that spring already?

I agree with you. I just don't know how it's possible with the spring I put on-unless the spring is wrong which I suppose it is. Back to the dealer to get my stock spring back I guess.

MF

yes i think your spring rate is wrong,i dont know the right spring for your weight on ktm i dont work on wp. but im sure someone can help you for the correct rate.

The manual says I need "72 N/mm" I put a 72-250 on there I got from the dealer. I guess the 72-250 number is in question.

MF

It says 69 in the manual. I cannot recall the other numbers-if any on the spring. I think they gave me a linkage spring and not a PDS spring. THey just traded me out the springs. I sure hope they have my old one.

I hate Mondays when shops aren't open

MF

yes if the stock is 69n the 72 work good for your weight.and yes he sell you the linkage spring and not the pds.you have little wire on your spring

IMAG0474.jpg?t=1323119853

That pic is straight from the manual. My spring says 72-250. According to the pic the spring is correct with my weight 195 #. I sure cannot get those sag numbers unless I am an idiot or my wife cannot use a tape measure. Hmm.

Going through the same atm and sorry to highjack your thread but what is more important if you don't get another spring rate, free sag of 55mm or rider sag of 103mm?

Cheers Brad

I don't know how many on here actually rate the stk OEM WP shock springs but I and another very knowledgeable tuner here in FL have done quite a few and just about every single one comes up at least 1 size softer than marked.

And on another note, just because the manuals or spring calculators on line say what spring works for what weights is nowhere set in stone. IMO they are close but in all reality the only SURE way to know is just put it on and measure, the actual sag numbers don't lie:thumbsup:

doc

Going through the same atm and sorry to highjack your thread but what is more important if you don't get another spring rate, free sag of 55mm or rider sag of 103mm?

Cheers Brad

It's a give & take there because you can either set the race sag and have certain issues with all the free sag or set the free sag and have issues with not enough rider sag.

Personally when I'm dealing with riders that are in this position untill they are able to get the right spring I adjust to get the free sag closer.....as most riders will like that feel better.

At the same time I adjust fork ht, accordingly....

doc

I'm gonna throw a Race Tech progressive spring on the thing tomorrow and end this nonsense. A local Race Tech guy helped me out. Stupid dirt bikes. Lol.

MF