Sign in to follow this  

Came across this article...

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=4B35F3B5FBEB45D79F6C9E17584AD07D

If you don't want to read it, the closing statement the author makes is what I am curious about. He states "the 2006 KDX 200 would no doubt continue to sell today if the two stroke trail bike hadn't been outlawed." What is the author trying to say here? What about KTM, Husky, Gas Gas, etc?

Anyone care to elaborate?

I agree with that statement considering the kdx would be about half the cost of the other bikes you mentioned.

I rode my '85 KDX200 until 1991 when I moved onto a WR250.

The lack of a front disc brake was the biggest limiting factor.

That KDX was one of the best bikes I ever owned. I should never have sold it. I did hundreds of hard enduro hours on that bike and it just went on and on - reliable as ever. Air-cooled and very simple to service.

Yep - that the kind of bike they should still be making today. No thanks to those pesky environmental lawyers.

You'll note that the husky, gas gas, and KTM to not come equipped with a USFS approved spark arrestor, which is required for off-road use. So, these bikes are sold as "closed course competition only". Which of course, they could also have done with the kdx, but chose not to. Notice, they don't sell the kx125/250 anymore either, so EPA restrictions had very little to do with any of it.

You'll note that the husky, gas gas, and KTM to not come equipped with a USFS approved spark arrestor, which is required for off-road use. So, these bikes are sold as "closed course competition only". Which of course, they could also have done with the kdx, but chose not to. Notice, they don't sell the kx125/250 anymore either, so EPA restrictions had very little to do with any of it.

What he said :lol:

That is exactly what I was curious about. I figured the statement of being outlawed was either false or the other manufacters found the loophole. Would be nice to see a KX125 or 250F chasis with the 200 or 220 motor mounted up being offered from Kawasaki.