Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Voyager - Trouble w/ Tach Reading

I installed the Voyager GPS last night and the tach shows the bike idling at about 7500 rpm. And I am certain it is not actually idling this high. I talked to Trail Tech today and they suggested relocating the tach input wire from around the coil underneath the water seal to the ignition wire running to the coil.

Has anyone else installed this unit on a crf250x (mine is an 06) and what worked for you regarding tach readings? Other than this glitch which seems minor the unit works very nicely.

Thanks.

I installed a Traiil Tech Voyger back in the late spring. Everything worked as advertised. I really took my time with the wire routing and had to splice on some extra wire to reach the battery. The Tach hook up was probably the messest. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the sparkplug boot to go over it, but it worked. I sugget that you have a look at how you wound the wire. Perhaps it isn't enough wire or you installed it improperly. Take your time and redo it. If that doesn't work then it has to be the wire connection.

I installed a Traiil Tech Voyger back in the late spring. Everything worked as advertised. I really took my time with the wire routing and had to splice on some extra wire to reach the battery. The Tach hook up was probably the messest. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the sparkplug boot to go over it, but it worked. I sugget that you have a look at how you wound the wire. Perhaps it isn't enough wire or you installed it improperly. Take your time and redo it. If that doesn't work then it has to be the wire connection.

I skipped powering off the battery and came off the hot wire going to the starter switch, Trail Tech said this was fine, it also reduced the mess of wires. The coil wrap is a pain in the ass, but I have 5 clean wraps. Trail Tech did not seem surprised that I was having trouble with the reading.

The instructions say to use 5 wraps but if you have inaccurate readings try 7 wraps.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the advise.

I've seen this suggested:

Try coax or shielded guitar circuit single conductor wire ($6 at Amazon). Ground the shield...

Make sure you have entered the correct PPR (Pulses per revolution) or RPP (Revolutions per pulse). Essentially they mean the same thing. On a four stroke PPR=2 or RPP=0.5. Enter it into the settings somehow, I'm not familiar with the Voyager.

Make sure you have entered the correct PPR (Pulses per revolution) or RPP (Revolutions per pulse). Essentially they mean the same thing. On a four stroke PPR=2 or RPP=0.5. Enter it into the settings somehow, I'm not familiar with the Voyager.

Where exactly in the voyager set up is this setting? I know there are 3 settings on the trail tech tto tach, but I can't find it anywhere in the voyager instructions.