Sign in to follow this  

what offset triple clamps is best on RMZ 450? And what brand has anyone tried?

the 08-present RMZ's have a rep of being the best handling bikes right now, i guess you can save that money or spend it somewhere else. I realy love my 08, tried almost all other brands 450 and even if my bike is 3 years old (bought new in 09) i liked it best, the only one i didnt try yet is a '12 RMZ, probably my next bike. :lol:

Reed ran 20m on his RMZ450 acouple years ago. Josh Strang does in his in his GNCC bike to my knowledge. There was an RG3 suspension test issue in TW mag acouple years ago where they ran the RG3 clamps with praise regarding them. That was on an RMZ250 though.

I always ran stock on my RMZ.

I rode an 08 with 20mm clamps and it was good. I am appy right now with the stock 21.5mm offset.I may get a set of 20mm clamps-probably ride engineering. The RG3 clamps are nice,but the Ride Eng. can be had for alot less money and I am not a fan of the RG3 double post bar mount setup. Some guys love it though. Ride clamps with rubber mounts or with the ktm phds bar mounts are may favorite.

the 08-present RMZ's have a rep of being the best handling bikes right now, i guess you can save that money or spend it somewhere else. I realy love my 08, tried almost all other brands 450 and even if my bike is 3 years old (bought new in 09) i liked it best, the only one i didnt try yet is a '12 RMZ, probably my next bike. :lol:

+1 ive had the pleasure of ridding (not just putting around) the 07, 10, and now 11 RMZ450 and it is a very, VERY good handling bike stock, i would skip the trips and spend the money on getting the suspension setup for you...

there is a huge difference between the 08-09 RMZ, and the 10-12 bikes, just saythe 11-12 is a different setup!ing.. if your riding a 08-09 bike im not concerned with your input ive had them.

Ditto on stock set-up. Use the money towards getting the suspension done. My 2012 RMZ450 handles awesome.

I'm running a 20mm off set on my '11, and it definitely is better than the stock off set. As others have pointed out, the RMZ handles great stock, but it's even better with the 20's. Changing from stock would not be my first upgrade. If you don't have your suspension set up yet that is a must, followed by a new exhaust. The stock exhaust is ridiculously heavy. I switched to a Dr. D titanium and it really lightened things up and gave the bike a bit more snap. If you have done the above and are still looking for a bit more improvement, go for the clamps. I went with Ride Engineering, and as mentioned above, nearly the entire Suzuki team has, and continues to run 20mm.

So I put on a set of the 20's and can now attest, they are awesome.

Hard to believe, but man, they really do improve the bike in a few key areas. The RMZ turns great, but with the 20's it bites even better and with less effort. Moreover, the bike just feels and works better, with more control I feel. It also seems that I can better man-handle it in turns and it hooks up better accelerating out as well. I'd recommend these before a pipe (actually, the stock pipe works very well).

Edited by rickk

there is a huge difference between the 08-09 RMZ, and the 10-12 bikes, just saythe 11-12 is a different setup!ing.. if your riding a 08-09 bike im not concerned with your input ive had them.

How different do the 'new ones' feel?? Can you really tell that much of a difference??

I've had an 07, 09 and now a 2012. I ran RG3 20mm clamps and rear linkage on the 08 with excellent results. I first put the 20mm clamps on the 2012 and it works great. I then installed the rear linkage and it is much better as well. I'm using the stock springs as I only weigh 165lbs. I run a Dr. D. stainless system and that is a great improvement also. I just installed the Racetech GR2 valving kits out of my 08 into the forks on the 2012, much better so far. Going to try my Merge racing progressive pressure springs and Factory connection outdoor spring seats next. I like the stock rear shock with the RG3 linkage and don't think I'll mess with it for a while.