Sign in to follow this  

Helmet Help: Whats with new helmets?

Hey fellow TT'ers, I have been thinking it is time to refresh/upgrade my noggin protection, but is it just me or do all the latest helmets have a short "chin-to-face shield" ratio? Basically everything I try on has my chin already almost touching the face protection, and I am no Jay Leno here either!

I currently have about a 3 1/2 year old M2R helmet and my face, from the time of purchase till now, has never been jammed in the cheeks and chin bar. I am free to move my mouth and even wipe my lips or even scratch my nose if need be, all the while the rest of the helmet stays put being sized properly.

So who out there makes a helmet with more chin room?

I have looked at the Bell Moto 9s, One Industries Trooper II, didn't bother with Shoei or Arai as I cannot afford those...

Any help is appreciated. Oh, am I the only one suffering from this? Has the industry made a change? Are companies not changing shell size as the head size may increase?

:lol:

Zoob

Edited by Zoob
Left off info and question

i do notice alot of helmets have a shorter face to chin ratio, but as for the trooper 2 helmet i had one, i had the hangover paint scheme and was a pretty nice helmet had lots of room in the chin area and was comfy, expect the visor is flimsy and i broke it within my first couple rides and replacement visor's from one industries are almost impossible to get, i had no luck getting one anyhow

less material. sving money? :lol: i noticed the same thing when i got back into riding and bought a new helmet, though I have grown to like it...

Arai has stated that they use a short chin bar because it is safer.

A short smooth chin bar stands less of a chance of digging into the dirt and yanking your neck around during a crash, this design theory gives up facial protection of a longer chin bar in favor of neck protection of the shorter chin bar. Anyhow, I think the Thor helmets seem to have a longish chin bar.

My current Shoei is very short in the chin area, and my previous Thor Force was also pretty tight. I thought it was just me and my odd shaped head, good to know it is their design, not my melon.