Sign in to follow this  

RM Shaking its Head ,,,,.

....I had the mother of all tank slappers on Saturday , I rolled off the throttle just to settle myself before accelarating up a jump ,then all hell broke loose it was as if the front wheel came loose ,just as it stopped i was up the jump and off the side off it and had a huge crash , god knows how but i was unscaved . I'm positive I did nothing wrong , It was totally out of the blue , it was quite fast just clipping 4th on a RM 250. Any ideas what could be a cause of it ? Suspension settings maybe .. It'd be handy to know as I'm a bit worried about it happening again .

how high are the forks in the tubes?. If there set for front grip then you can change it for more stability.

Maybe add a link to the chain and run the wheelbase maxed out

If this was a one time, out of nowhere situation, then I doubt it really had anything to do with settings or the like. Otherwise it would happen every time or often, not just once. This is motocross and things happen. It could be anything from the front tire deflecting off of a rock or bump, to the front tire loosing traction out of the blue. You can't really set your bike up to fend off a onetime thing. Freak accidents happen, just look at Chad Reed at Millville this year. He even said that at no point would he do anything differently. There are a million different forces acting on a bike at all times and if the balance of forces gets shifted, even for a moment, all hell can break lose.

I’m very happy to hear you are ok, that is the most important thing. But unless the bike is acting strange all the time or often, I would say you can just chalk it up to freak accident and just get back on the horse.

But I would take a look at the front wheel bearings, if they locked up for an instant your front would tuck and you would be ejected..... Bearings that have chunks of dirt, chipped off chrome, or such can intermittently lock up without warning.

+1

The cause of the head shake was because you rolled out of the throttle which loaded the forks and then you must have hit a small bump at just the wrong time while you were making a steering correction of some kind (possibly a very small one).

In any case, a one time event is hard to adjust for, so see if you can "safely!" repeat this under a more controlled but less severe condition. If you can repeat it then you need to deal with it. Head shake can be delt with in a number of ways, but all of them center around the forks using too much travel or being too low in the stroke at the wrong time. You could just simply make a habit of sliding your rear farther back on the bike under the same condition ~ or ~ you could ...

Try this:

1. Increase the fork compression damping

2. Slide the forks down 5mm at a time until it either goes away or until the fork caps are flush with the top triple clamp.

3. Increase the rear shock sag.

4. Decrease the rear shock compression.

After that and if it's still shaking:

1. Make sure that your suspension spring rates are correct for your weight.

2. Have the suspension valving adjusted for you and your riding conditions.