Sign in to follow this  

My new toy

I have a 01 Drz 400 that I ride street and dirt with, and was slowly getting sick of swapping tires every weekend... Also it sucked trying to keep up on the whoops against the cr250s I ride with. Searched for weeks on craigslist and finally had a good bite for a 1998 Rm-250. Bike was very clean (dusty from sitting but was well taken care of) PO hurt his knee and stopped riding it for two years (aside from starting it up or short rides with his 5 yr old son).

(Drz400 vid for kicks and giggles)http://vimeo.com/29299713

Good

Bike had good tires (nipples on the back yet), full pro circut pipe (with untouched stock pipe) new pads, good chain/sprocket, and started right up in the cold and ran nice through the gears.

Bad

Came with full set of plastics to replace the cracked REAR FENDER ONLY.

Extras:Manual, 3 plugs, gear oil, premix, new filter, filter oil, and 2 cans of chain wax

All for 920$- Man was I a happy 2stroking camper

Pix:

When I got it

2011-12-02_20-07-01_927.jpg

Torn down the first hour she got home

2011-12-02_20-35-46_56.jpg

Mess of parts

2011-12-02_20-35-58_19.jpg

2011-12-02_20-36-07_223.jpg

2011-12-02_20-36-07_223.jpg

2011-12-03_03-39-56_218.jpg

Chopper photoshoot:ride:

rm250.jpg

Pipe, carb, airbox, and shock off

2011-12-03_03-40-06_328.jpg

Piston looks....?? It rides super smooth atleast (Saving this for a future project)

2011-12-03_03-35-16_938.jpg

putting it back together

rmwork.jpg

final steps: new gas, crank oil, filter change, chain lube

almostdonerm.jpg

So I tore her down to frame/motor, and greased lightning'd everything, hit gently with a powerwasher after covering the engine holes, and greased all the bearings up

Turned out very nice (with my 400 on the right)

2011-12-04_13-18-14_363.jpg

2011-12-04_13-18-14_363.jpg

2011-12-04_13-18-20_410.jpg

388668_10151015914955022_694735021_21827445_1241673306_n.jpg

Welcome to the family

2011-12-04_13-30-40_634.jpg

Brandon

nice RM! the girl in pink looks like she wants to ride it. what gearing does it have? is it all stock except for the PC pipe?

Cool video and excellent job on finding and rebuilding the RM!

And FWIW I've been to Cedar Creek ORV ~ many times, and at 3:30 into the video when you decided to ride down that dirt road on the north side of Cedar you were breaking the law. I personally don't care but if the DNR catches you, they will care. The general rule in Michigan is that unless it's posted with those little orange arrows it's not ORV legal. Which also counts for all of those cross roads on the south side of Cedar Creek, their illegal too.

:bonk:I think the sprocket setup is 13??-and 50. I cleaned up the rear and saw 50 but dont know the front so I assume stock. And PO said it was ported. It runs like a top. ALSO thank you for saying thats illegal, we havent ridden past that but we definitely have wanted to, if we knew it was illegal we wouldnt have done that so thanks for saving a brother

:bonk:I think the sprocket setup is 13??-and 50. I cleaned up the rear and saw 50 but dont know the front so I assume stock. And PO said it was ported. It runs like a top. ALSO thank you for saying thats illegal, we havent ridden past that but we definitely have wanted to, if we knew it was illegal we wouldnt have done that so thanks for saving a brother

Not a problem, it's amazing at the number of riders that think that they can just wheel out of the main parking lot and rip right down that main road. If they look even just a little bit they'll see a sign on both sides of the road that clearly state "No ORV's Past This Point". Where you were there were no signs, but there isn't any arrows either.

When things warm up in the spring PM me, we need to ride!

Not a problem, it's amazing at the number of riders that think that they can just wheel out of the main parking lot and rip right down that main road. If they look even just a little bit they'll see a sign on both sides of the road that clearly state "No ORV's Past This Point". Where you were there were no signs, but there isn't any arrows either.

When things warm up in the spring PM me, we need to ride!

Me too, me too provideing i have a bike, thinking of unloading my 04 and going a different flavor(bikewise)

Oh yeah, nice bike and a great price

did the PO say who ported it? just curious, what gears will it wheelie without using the clutch?

Cool video and excellent job on finding and rebuilding the RM!

And FWIW I've been to Cedar Creek ORV ~ many times, and at 3:30 into the video when you decided to ride down that dirt road on the north side of Cedar you were breaking the law. I personally don't care but if the DNR catches you, they will care. The general rule in Michigan is that unless it's posted with those little orange arrows it's not ORV legal. Which also counts for all of those cross roads on the south side of Cedar Creek, their illegal too.

wouldn't he be allowed to ride on that road since he is on a street legal motorcycle? Here in WI if you have a plate, you can go anywhere a car can including logging roads and access roads. His friends of course would be breaking the law, but not him.

Me too, me too provideing i have a bike, thinking of unloading my 04 and going a different flavor(bikewise)

Oh yeah, nice bike and a great price

The more the merrier! FWIW KTM's around here are getting more and more popular, the big four leaving the two stroke market is partly to blame for that. The fact that they really do make a very good two stroke puts them over the top. Could that be the "other" flavor that you speak of??

wouldn't he be allowed to ride on that road since he is on a street legal motorcycle? Here in WI if you have a plate, you can go anywhere a car can including logging roads and access roads. His friends of course would be breaking the law, but not him.

Any bike in Michigan that legally got a plate in Michigan or another state can ride on any road (freeway, gravel or anything in between), but that same bike will still need to have an ORV sticker to make it trail legal. In the case of that video I was referring to the two stroke going down that dirt road. None of the two strokes looked street legal ...

Oddly enough when I rode with a group a few years ago I was in a similiar state of "being legal", and we got flagged down by a couple of DNR officers. But as we agreed prior to starting the ride the legal bikes stopped and the rest kept riding (there was 4 of us). The guys that stopped were asked who the other riders were but they just said that they had only seen us on the trail and really didn't know who we were. It worked liked a charm, but we were still extremely nervous 2 hours later leaving Baldwin.

did the PO say who ported it? just curious, what gears will it wheelie without using the clutch?

The PO DID say it was ported...The thing is a monster. My 400 is modded with an fcr, powerbomb/yosh pipe, 3x3 airbox, and hot cams, but this is like a new kind of power being a 2 stroke.

I ran it down the street in my neighborhood once and thats all ive gotten to ride it yet :lol: but I pulled it up and set it down in gears 1-4:ride:

Oh ya and didnt realize...I guess I was legal but I dont need to take my riding buddies down to get in trouble haha

:lol:

The PO DID say it was ported...The thing is a monster. My 400 is modded with an fcr, powerbomb/yosh pipe, 3x3 airbox, and hot cams, but this is like a new kind of power being a 2 stroke.

I ran it down the street in my neighborhood once and thats all ive gotten to ride it yet :lol: but I pulled it up and set it down in gears 1-4:ride:

wow now im curious to know who did the porting work if it wheelies 4th gear too. can you ask the PO who exactly did the porting to the cylinder? or the name of the company? thanks much

GREAT find.:lol: I'd love to find a RM or a RMX to go with my DRZ and DR.