Sign in to follow this  

Coming over, yz125 to xc/xcw 200?

Hi, I currently have a 2005 yz 125 that is pretty well set up for the woods ( revalve, 18'' rear, all sorts of armor) and I love the bike. I race 200 C and am starting to move towards the B class. I like small bores so I'm looking into ktm's as yamaha doesn't offer me what i want. I want more bottom, little more stable planted feel in a bike, and just an overall change. Though my suspension is set up pretty well i still feel i get tossed around more than I'd like in the woods.

I'm looking for 200 xc or xc-w, 2007 and up (I believe that was the second to last makeover). I'm used to the close ratio transmission and I think I'd like to stay with one, but how is the wide ratio? The only experience I have with a wide tranny is a friend's wr 250f. I'd like to get into more enduros so I was thinking the wide ratio might be better suited. What do you pros over here in ktm land think? I'm not worried about suspension as I would probably get that taken care of either way.

Thanks, Dan

Hi, I currently have a 2005 yz 125 that is pretty well set up for the woods ( revalve, 18'' rear, all sorts of armor) and I love the bike. I race 200 C and am starting to move towards the B class. I like small bores so I'm looking into ktm's as yamaha doesn't offer me what i want. I want more bottom, little more stable planted feel in a bike, and just an overall change. Though my suspension is set up pretty well i still feel i get tossed around more than I'd like in the woods.

I'm looking for 200 xc or xc-w, 2007 and up (I believe that was the second to last makeover). I'm used to the close ratio transmission and I think I'd like to stay with one, but how is the wide ratio? The only experience I have with a wide tranny is a friend's wr 250f. The W tranny in the 200 is unlike any other W tranny around, including the WR. I rode and raced a WR for 3 years. The 200 trannies breakdown like this, The W has a lower 1st, almost same 2nd, identical 3rd - 4th, taller 5th and 6th, than the XC. So, the W tranny is actually more versatile. I miss the taller 5th and 6th, but can't tell any difference otherwise. The gearing is basically the same in the gears you spend the most time. The biggest difference between the XC and W is the susp. The open chamber forks on the W are great for woods work when it is rough. They can be actually plusher, but when the speed picks up, or there is jumping, etc involved, the closed chamber in the XC tend to hold up better. If you are considering older than 08, this is not an issue as both models will have open chamber forks.I'd like to get into more enduros so I was thinking the wide ratio might be better suited. What do you pros over here in ktm land think? I'm not worried about suspension as I would probably get that taken care of either way.

Thanks, Dan

For enduros, the W is hard to beat. I ran an enduro this fall and the road sections really showed the shortcomings of the close ratio tranny. There is no cruising gear. Basically, with the W 200, you get a close ratio tranny wrapped in a wide ratio tranny. :lol:

That makes up my mind for the W. As for the suspension I didn't realize the bikes actually had 2 different forks. I assumed with a revalve it wouldn't make a difference. Perhaps that's why in the really tough nasty stuff even though my suspension on my yz suffers...

I wouldn't be spending any time on the track with the bike. I'm keeping my yz for mx as I ride a good bit of mx as well.

So the forks are different 08 and on?

That makes up my mind for the W. As for the suspension I didn't realize the bikes actually had 2 different forks. I assumed with a revalve it wouldn't make a difference. Perhaps that's why in the really tough nasty stuff even though my suspension on my yz suffers...

I wouldn't be spending any time on the track with the bike. I'm keeping my yz for mx as I ride a good bit of mx as well.

So the forks are different 08 and on?

The XC and W forks prior to 08 were of the same design, with different stock valving. However, finding a used bike with stock susp is more unlikely than finding one that has been reworked. In 08, the XC got the TC forks and the W remained with the OC forks. I have had both valved by the same tuner and both performed very well. The TC's seem to be more supportive on big hits and handle the chop better, say like braking bumps going down a hill.

The one thing I find, and sometimes like about the close ratio tranny is that it is always in the rpms, wanting throttle. With the taller 5th, you have a gear you can carry speed and just chug along. The shorter 5th/6th just revs out faster keeping you on the gas, almost begging ya.

For me, 5th is almost useless in the close ratio as I can shift right thru it to 6th and the bike pulls the same. I do have the SX tranny, but it is very similar to the XC, internally.

From the responses so far the W seems the way to go. It would be nice to have a taller 5/6th for Enduros. I was originally worried that the lower gears would be spaced further apart which I'm not sure I'd like. It feels good banging through gears on my yz sometimes, but having to shift all the time as the bike has almost no bottom is getting pretty annoying. I'm hoping a 200 would remedy most of that. I may consider a xc 250f as well...

Gmoss I see you're from North Carolina. Who was the tuner that did your suspension? I'm here in SC, do you ever do any SETRA or Mid East races?

Look at a chart of the internal gearing with the 200, you will see they are very similar, and share the same external gearing. The 200 has plenty of bottom end. I spend most of my time in 4th gear chugging along keeping my momentum. 3rd and 4th get used most, with 2nd for the steep hillclimbs, 1st for bailouts, 5/6th for transfer sections. In flowing ST, I am amazed at how little shifting I actually do, but I am not one that has to keep it in the pipe. I am pulling as tall a gear as I can to stay smooth. This little bike just doesn't tire me out like my past bikes.

FTI Racing does my susp. I run some SETRA enduros, NCHSA, and a few Mideast from time to time. I just ran the Bootlegger enduro, having my best finish ever, finishing 3rd in the nonmember class.

Let me know if you come this way to ride. You can take a spin on my bike.

Congrats on Bootlegger, I heard that was pretty recent. I should be doing some of the SETRA/National Enduros at the beginning of next year. Idk how far up in NC you are but Sandlapper is really fun. Can't wait to get a freaking new bike