Sign in to follow this  

2009 KX 450F hard to start when warm

So I have a 2009 kx 450f with about 20 hours on it. Ever since I first got it (used with 5 hours on it) It has started first or second kick when cold. But after about 30 minutes of riding... It takes anywhere from 5-15 kicks to get her going.

I checked the valves and they were fine, changed the spark plug(also not fouled), and turned the idle up... still no improvements.

Any idea what it could be?

Higher idle will most often make it even harder to start. But less likely to stall of course.

Classic symptom of leaky intake valves. Time to check them.

Isn´t it the other way around Krannie?

This bike starts fine when cold. Not exactly the tell tale sign of bad valves.

Isn´t it the other way around Krannie?

This bike starts fine when cold. Not exactly the tell tale sign of bad valves.

That has been my experience.An overly Rich pilot jet is the most common cause of hard hot starting: if using the hot start solves the problem, that's more proof.

That has been my experience.An overly Rich pilot jet is the most common cause of hard hot starting: if using the hot start solves the problem, that's more proof.

True, but this guy has a 2009, which is F.I.

Hold the throttle open a little when hot and it will start right up. if it doesnt start 1st kick hold it wide open and it will start.

I have had 3 of the injected Kaws. in the last 3 years and all of them are a dream to start. (very easy, always when everything is in proper working order)

Check the valve clearance just to be safe and rule it out. If no problem found go through every connector you can get to with the fuel tank off. (which is almost all of them) Even the smallest of corrosion will cause issues, so scrape clean the male and female ends and reinstall with Di-electric grease. My guess is it is one of the connectors and most likely a temp sensor. You could do one at a time that way you will know which one it was for future reference.

I recently had a coolant temp. sensor connector reek havoc on the run-ability of my 11.

To take it a step farther you could buy the pin fit checker from Kaw. and be precise, but if you have never done this before you will need a mechanic to help you or just ask and I will walk you through it. (hint: it requires removing the pins from the plastic connector housing to adjust)

Oh, fine. FI is pilot free. Fine. I'll take my bag of jets and go home then.

Try to find someone who will trade your bag of assorted jets for a laptop with Kawi´s software installed. :lol: The times have changed. For better or for worse.

Scrap metal is worth a lot these days. We get a lot of thieves around here from the Baltic countries. They steal everything, they like copper the most.

I know this guy who works with industrial electric motors, and he has a big dumpster outside of his workshop. One day when he came to work there was a thief in the dumpster. The Letlander had fallen into the dumpster and broken his arm. He couldn´t get up. The police came and got him. True story. Pretty funny.

This other time 2 other friends had 3 of their bikes stolen. They had loaded them in their bus for a ride the next day. All 3 bikes gone in the morning. The next day they got a call from the police, they had chased down a Polish van that happened to have three bikes in it. They got them all back, no harm done to the bikes. Unbelievable, but true.

However, if you try to make a deal with some stockbroker from Dow Jones he will most likely tell you the metal is worth nothing and have you leave it there for him to dispose of later.