Sign in to follow this  

Enduro/woods bike, KTM,CRF450X,CR500? 2T? 4T?

So I am considering getting rid of my CR500 for a bike more suited for the riding I do/enjoy the most. I live in NC and the trails we have around here are pretty technical and I enjoy riding tight stuff and log jumps and a local parks enduro-cross style set up. I rode all this before on my CR250 and decided I would like to get a 500 but since I have, I like it so far but I realized this bike was designed for Motocross and not that you cant use it in the woods but in all fairness it wasn't designed for that like some other bikes are. I am just wondering what some others think about using a 4T and something that is more suited for this style of riding like a CRF450X or some sort of KTM or would my CR500 make a nice bike to do all this with if i just mod it to be that way? I am just looking for advice on what you think :lol: thanks for the imput

I would not waste my time setting up that 500 for the woods in the east. Way more power than needed. Unless your a really big guy. Get a 200 or 2502t or a 250F. All you need to go fast. I know many people riding 450 in the woods with too much power.

I would not waste my time setting up that 500 for the woods in the east. Way more power than needed. Unless your a really big guy. Get a 200 or 2502t or a 250F. All you need to go fast. I know many people riding 450 in the woods with too much power.

Im not that big but I am 6'4" and 220 :lol:

This my two cents! Never sell the 500. I remember in the day all we rode was 500. 250s were not what they are now. We made the 500s work for the Sunday trail bike. And too much power is not a minus. Just learn how to control it. Having all that horsepower came with a lot of Torque. Torque is good. Starting the bike was tough until a technique was learned. That being said, with todays bikes, if I had to choose one bike for all my needs it would be the KTM 300 E-start.

Gotta agree never Ever Ever sell the 500 I really regret it........ KTM 300/ Berg 250 2s set up for you will be the answer, but every now and again roll out the 500......... hmmmmmmmm.

Ha, I really didn't want to let go of my 500... especially considering it is in mint condition and I bought it from the original owner who gave me tons of OEM parts plus the owners manual, service manual, MSO (title), tools, fork seal drivers, original pipe etc. the list goes on and on. I love this bike and one day they will be very hard to find... maybe I will just save up and look into a KTM or something. I am a big 2-stroke fan but the 4T is so much more controllable and you can do sweet mile-long wheelies haha really though, nobody for the 4T as a enduro/woods assault bike? Its been a while since I rode one and the last one I had was a CRF450X... that was actually my first bike because I didnt know any better lol

Before you go buy a 4t, try a KTM 300 XC. As you may be aware, the 4t big bore trail bikes can be a bit heavy. If you dont mind the extra weight, I would recommend a KTM 450 EXC or WR 450. If you are wanting a light 2t, go with the 300. I bought one and I love the bike.