2012 350 SXF FI issues, 3rd time out!!

Ok so as I posted last week, I took the plunge on one of these last weekend. During my outing last Saturday, I experienced what others have posted about here; I am now a statistic. Here's my story:

Day 1: Took the bike to my local MX track and break it in like I've done will all my bikes which is: three fifteen minute heat cycles @ 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 throttle. Then I went for it. I burned about 1.4 gals.

Changed the oil and filter

Day 2: Installed a split stream filter in the tank and filled the bike with gas. Back to my local MX track. Started feeling comfy by the end of the day and got into some play races.

Day 3: Cold day ~ 35-40F, played with the suspension this time (set sag, played with clickers). Went hard this time, almost ran down a kid on a kx 450 until I hit neutral. Switched with a bud and let him try mine. He's on a 09 crf 450. I was amazed with how much lighter my 350 felt to ride, amazed! Got back took a break and went back out. My bud tried running me down. I went hard (you rev these things!), kept going until I didn't hear a bike behind me anymore. Come over the finishline table rapped pretty hard and I detect something. Bike felt like it didn't pull as hard as before, maybe it's in my head.

Charge the next straight and into a right hander before the biggest double on the track (60 ft to "make it" and 90 to the sweet spot, but built well, so pretty easy). The bike bogs in this turn, I think that I leaned on the kill switch, no prob. Commit to the double, pulls hard 2/3 up the face then waaah, bog!! As I'm in the air I'm thinking this bike is shutting off on me!" Now I'm clued into the fact that something is wrong, I go easy on the next jump. Now the bikes running poorly. The bike finally dies on the face of the next table. I have to push the bike to the trailer. The bike finally starts (with difficulty) when loaded up. I immediately call my dealer and take it up. I'm worried that since it started, that I wouldn't be able to repeat the issue. Luckily, at the dealer, it's tough to start and when it finally does, it falls on it's face when getting on the gas in the parking lot. The dealer thinks the injector is plugged. Can anybody post pics/instructions on how to get the injector off and cleared out? Reading the various posts on this issue has me very concerned about continuing to ride this thing aggressively. I could have been nabbed on that double. This issues seems as bad or worse than the bearing recall on these things. I don't know what to do. I almost feel like trying to get my money back but, I like the bike. Do these things throw codes for these issues like a car? Not knocking the dealer but, I'm not fully convinced with their ability to fix this due to a lack of exposure to this (they currently have a 2011 with a similar issue, nothing like this before hand). Previous experience with KTM CS shows that they are good at owning up to stuff but, it almost seems the factory doesn't have a handle on this. Any KTM techs on this forum? Give us some input, we need you!!!!

Edited by Ud_Luz
Circumventing.

i got about 10-13 hours on my 2011 350sxf and only problem ive had was the bar clamps broke after 3 warm up laps i was pissed at the dealer after i learned it was a re-call

i clean my filters every ride and now i filter my fuel, id be interested in some step by step photos for checking the injector, i dont have the filter in line like the 12

i dont understand why some clog super easy, even with an inline filter and others like me who arent even careful about getting crap in the gas and run the cheap stuff, never have any issues at all. just makes my wonder if something got into the system during production/assembly of the bike.

take it back before it's too late! If I didn't put all the fruity bits on mine I would have traded it for a Japa. We shouldn't have to worry about buying split stream's, injector clean, golan filters, and looking after fuel containers like it's more valuable than gold.

I have a box with 10 wurth injector clean bottles in it. My concern is how much premature damage is happening to the bike from it leaning out so much.

Some dirty old BSA from world war I probably had less fuel issues than one of these things.

I'm looking forward to the 2013 line up of bikes already (not ktm)

Edited by Wic_ed1

if i remember right does'nt the 250 kawi have the same fuel injection system or is it just the throttle body?

i spoke to paul from DT1 filters and he said that they have an issue with the filter being sucked into the cage thats why they offer a filter cage with more points over the stock 3 points so maybe if your a expert/pro rider your sucking dirt into the system there rather than in the fuel???

So my dealer did some ohm readings and sees them going wacky when the bike warms up. The bike won't idle correctly and luckily runs shitty. The dealer's calling it a bad fuel pump. He's giving me an option between new ktm and aftermarket. What would you guys go with? How many out there have switched out their OEM pump with an aftermarket? Results?

i dont understand why some clog super easy, even with an inline filter

The inline filter is the problem! First off, the fuel tank comes from the factory with little pieces of plastic in them from the machining process, second the inline fuel filter is way too small and plugs up within just a few hours. We have serviced over a dozen of them and after the inline filter is removed ....no more problems. We now pull and clean the fuel tank and take out the inline filter on all of the ktms we sell at our dealership! We haven't had one come back since!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with my 2012 KTM 350 sxf. Very frustrating!. Rode it 8 times.4 of those times the bike has quit on me. Did the inline fuel filter and it fixed it for one ride.  Then was told to clean the tank and try using a fuel additive. Next time when the bike stopped running the dealer told me to buy another injector and swap it. The bike ran for about an hour and stopped running again. None of these fixed the issue,. I am taking it back to the dealer and hopefully they can do something. I cant believe thatKTM does not have a fix for this. I think we should start a class action lawsuit! 

I did see the videos. The dealership recommends hydro sonic cleaning. I installed a brand new injector in the bike and I have changed the inline filter regularly. this has not solved the problem. KTM has recommended replacing the fuel pump and they are working with me. I am glad they are standing behind their equipment!

After it is installed I will post the outcome.

It's probably the Throttle Position Sensor. I just had my first non-rider induced bike problem about a month ago with 75 hours on my 11' 350 XCF. Out of no when I attempted to fire the bike up after preping it for a race weekend and it was extremely hard to start. Eventually I got it started and initially it would idle for maybe 10 seconds then cut out and die. I tired taking the quick disconnect fuel filter out and that seemed to help slightly. I got it until it would idle fine and could put it through the gears if you feathered the throttle on. My dealer initially thought it was a clogged injector but as soon as they ran it on their computer they diagnosed it as a faulty throttle position sensor. They overnighted a new one and threw it together and its ran like a champ since.

Edited by motonack