Help with strange suspension sag numbers for my weight

Hi,

I'm new to Thumpertalk and just getting back on a bike after about 8 years off them , last bike was a harley but now I'm living on a Island with shitty roads and tons of speed bumps and pot holes as well as sections of mud and dirt every time the rain comes down the mountains and onto the flats so I figured a DRZ would be a good choice and a lot of fun to ride here .... once you get used to the "local" dogs chasing you and trying to tear your

ankle off !

I just got a DRZ400SM shipped to me in St Maarten a few weeks ago from a dealer in Georgia and wanted to set up the suspension for my weight.

I have been reading through all the posts here and went and measured

the sag front and rear, the bike is stock and I weigh 210 lbs.

On the front I am confused as I get a reading of only 35 mm sag when I sit on the bike ? as far as I can tell this can't be possible with my weight ?

Here are the reading I got:

Front:

14 1/4 " suspension fully extended

13 1/4 " natural factory sag ( this seems right at 25 mm )

12 " with me on the bike , feet on the pegs ( this seems off and odd to me at only 35 mm given my weight ? )

Rear:

22 1/4 " suspension fully extended

21 " natural factory sag ( this seems right at 30 mm )

18 1/2 " with me on the bike , feet on the pegs ( this seems o.k for street riding from what I have been reading here at 65 mm but not sure ? )

Overall I find the suspension feels fairly soft but the sag numbers say it should be stiff ? or am I missing something here , and reading this wrong ?

I felt no confidence in the bike as sometimes the front end would feel like it was not planted in corners or stepping out on me , after reading the post I checked tire pressure and found the front at 19 psi and the rear at 22 psi , I brought the front up to 24 and the rear to 29 and it feels somewhat better but still not really confidence inspiring .

I could use some help understanding the sag numbers I am getting especially in the front .

Thanks

From the factory springs are set up for lighter riders. I'm using a 5.7 kg fort he rear (factory maybe 5.5), but for me and camping gear. I weigh 165, but extra gear so year 200lbs plus some, but this is for an S.

For good reading on suspension and spring calculations go to Race Tech's web page.

the thing is you are covering a variety of terrain , its ok for the racetrack to set up suspension .

when you ride many different surfaces and areas like i do , its very hard to find a set up of compromise .

after spring rate set up [ which is simple ] i would love to have comp and rebound adjustment on the fly .?

Hey ,

Thanks for the answers and for the cable tie idea , that sounds like a good way to check it after I ride.

I guess my main question is at 65 mm in the rear with me on it seems better than I should be seeing at 210 lbs ?

I would have thought with my weight it would have been 100mm + ...

What do you guys think ? does this mean that my rear suspension is o.k for my weight and no need to change spring ?

Cheers

Is that a breast cancer awareness zip tie Craig?Or are they all that color down under?:smirk:Sorry islander i'm not trying to hijack your post but couldn't help myself.Man.....must be nice ripping around in St Maarten:thumbsup:

Real men use pink zip ties.

Hey,

Yeah it is fun ripping around St Maarten, other than the crazy dogs chasing you.

So can anyone answer my question ? ... if I have 65mm sag in the rear when I'm on the bike does this mean my rear suspension is fine for my weight ? or am I understanding this wrong ?

Just confused given I weigh 210 and would have thought I would see 100mm + and need to upgrade ... but at 65mm at least if I'm following the suspension guys topics right means the rear is fairly stiff and ok for me ?

Cheers

Is that a breast cancer awareness zip tie Craig?Or are they all that color down under?:smirk:Sorry islander i'm not trying to hijack your post but couldn't help myself.Man.....must be nice ripping around in St Maarten:thumbsup:
Obviously so.....

Hey steady there guys...I just found this pic on the web to use as and example..?

To set the record straight I use black cable ties on my scoot....?

Hey,

Yeah it is fun ripping around St Maarten, other than the crazy dogs chasing you.

So can anyone answer my question ? ... if I have 65mm sag in the rear when I'm on the bike does this mean my rear suspension is fine for my weight ? or am I understanding this wrong ?

Just confused given I weigh 210 and would have thought I would see 100mm + and need to upgrade ... but at 65mm at least if I'm following the suspension guys topics right means the rear is fairly stiff and ok for me ?

Cheers

So are getting a buddy to do the sag measuring ?.You should be sitting on the bike in your normal riding position with minimal support.?..Try just leaning the bars against a wall with the bike as upright as possible to check the measurements..

So are getting a buddy to do the sag measuring ?.You should be sitting on the bike in your normal riding position with minimal support.?..Try just leaning the bars against a wall with the bike as upright as possible to check the measurements..

Craig is correct(as usual).Get the end of the bar about a foot away from a wall,put your elbow on the wall causing as least drag as possible and have a buddy measure the sag.We normally do it against the side of the trailer which gives very little elbow grab/drag.The key is to sit naturally on they bike in a semi attack position-fast riding attitude/posture.

Hey,

I had my wife help me measure it and I had my feet on the pegs and was just balancing up against the garage wall , so I'm pretty sure I have the number right.

So at 65mm sag what is that telling me , my suspension is fine for my weight ? If anything on the stiff side ? or am I understanding the the reading wrong .

Cheers

Hey,

It's around 95 degrees here every day so we don't really wear any gear , half the time we don't wear helmets ....

I am strictly street riding with some odd on the beach and dirt road riding , other than the massive potholes and speed-bumps ( read: jumps ).

I really thought because of my 210 weight the suspension would be virtually used up so with only 65mm showing does that mean the suspension is stiff enough for me ? ... if anything I can adjust it a little softer ?

Oh man..I am hearing what you are say'in about the minimal riding gear because of the heat,

BUT

think of the pain from the breaks, cuts and abrasions and possible death (with the No helmet thing) you may sustain with a get off....Is it worth the risk??.

Anyway , back to the suspension..It's odd for your weight to suit the stock spring, but If that's the figures you are coming up with, yes, I would just go a couple of turns softer on the pre load....

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

It's a great Island and a lot of fun , enjoy the Flash-backs and Bliss is still a great spot .

I hear you about the helmets , when I first moved here about 9 yrs ago I had a Harley and never wore a helmet for the 2 yrs I rode , its was freeing and a great experience but coming from Canada ( and the States where you guys are from ) you get used to all the rules and regulations ... soon they will tell you to wear a helmet to walk on the side walk .

I have 2 little kids now and my wife won't let me ride without a helmet now ...

but I'm still wearing my old harley half dome ... creating a new style down here I guess. Plus a full face or MX style helmet is just to hot to wear here.

Now all I have to do is start working on changing up sandals and shorts ... for at least a pair of shoes...