Sign in to follow this  

Cold Weather and My '11 KX Don't Mix

I raced the Tecate Hare Scrambles this weekend and the morning temp was below freezing. It took about 40 minutes to get my bike started. I kicked and kicked and kicked to no avail. I removed the seat and air filter and tried that. No start. Sprayed carb cleaner in the air filter boot. No start. Parked it next to a camp fire for 10 minutes thinking the oil was like molasses. No start. I had 20 minutes before the start and finally closed the choke, held it wide open and kicked until the bastard finally started.

Just curious if anyone else has had this same experience starting their EFI 450 in cold weather. For a minute there, I thought I was going to pull a Ryan Dungey and start the race a lap down. Very frustrating. I'm wondering if it's because the EFI is not a closed loop system like the FE Husabergs.

Kicking... kicking... tired!

6463698951_d12516436c_b.jpg

After all that kicking, how did you race? I bet you were real tired, after all that.

After all that kicking, how did you race? I bet you were real tired, after all that.

Ha! Good question. It definitely got my blood flowing. I had the flu the week prior so I had bigger issues to deal with. Threw in the towel after 1.5 laps. Lame.

My 11 would start 3 kicks when it was cold (below 40f) and 2 when warmer. Best starting bike I ever had. My 12 usually takes 1 or 2 more kicks, but I've only ridden it below 40 once. What gas are you running?

Last winter was one of the coldest in years in my area. One morning it got down to about 9 degrees and my '11 fired up on the 3rd kick. Hell, my son has a '09 YZ with a carb and it even fired up in 4 or 5 kicks. I've got nothing for you. Don't know nothing about efi.

I live in Colorado and now that winter is here I have to hold the grip on my 11 a little open to get it to start. Unlike a carb there is no choke or pilot jet to make the mixture rich for cold weather starts. Only draw back to holding the throttle open a small amount is every so often you get a kick back that will send your knee to the moon:foul:.

My 11 would start 3 kicks when it was cold (below 40f) and 2 when warmer. Best starting bike I ever had. My 12 usually takes 1 or 2 more kicks, but I've only ridden it below 40 once. What gas are you running?

I have a remapped ECU. I was running a mix of 110 and 100 octane. Once it fired, it ran perfect and started immediately afterwards.

Unlike a carb there is no choke

Sure there is, its on the left side of the throttle body

friend of mine had the same problem 0n a efi crf450r. kicked and kicked and it didnt even fire once.it was just below 0 degrees c. we had a quad with us and tried pull starting it and still took another 15min

Stuck or lazy injector? Maybe holding the throttle open sent a longer pulse width signal to the injector and got it moving. Just a thought...

Check coolant temp. sensor connector (all connectors for that matter) for proper pin fit and corrosion. Clean, install di-electric grease and recheck.

3 kicks, every time. Regardless of temp.

I'll try to start it this winter when it hits -30 and let you know. lol

3 kicks, every time. Regardless of temp.

I'll try to start it this winter when it hits -30 and let you know. lol

When u say 3 kicks everytime, do you mean from a dead cold engine or even after its warmed up?

When u say 3 kicks everytime, do you mean from a dead cold engine or even after its warmed up?

From dead cold. The only time it's taken more kicks is when I had to change my plug.

I've dumped it many times, and it's usually one or two kicks to get going.

To be honest, just to be a dick to my friend with a carbed bike, I like to lean over the seat and "kick" it over by hand and have it start up right away while he's kicking himself into exhaustion..

From dead cold. The only time it's taken more kicks is when I had to change my plug.

I've dumped it many times, and it's usually one or two kicks to get going.

To be honest, just to be a dick to my friend with a carbed bike, I like to lean over the seat and "kick" it over by hand and have it start up right away while he's kicking himself into exhaustion..

thats funny.. I have the good fortune of the carb'd bike that starts one kick almost everytime. maybe 3 if its dead cold.

I ride with a bunch of other guys with carbd 450s and they dont have the same fortune.

thats funny.. I have the good fortune of the carb'd bike that starts one kick almost everytime. maybe 3 if its dead cold.

I ride with a bunch of other guys with carbd 450s and they dont have the same fortune.

Likewise here

Started 3 kicks dead cold at -6 C yesterday. 1 kick every time after.

Carbs aint so bad....

Ya i think the problem lies in the tune. If its jetted right and you have a fuel screw and idle set right, it starts perfectly, have never needed the hot-start.

I was riding with a guy a couple weeks ago that owns a yammy dealership and at some point during the ride he started talking FI and asking me about it and i had to tell him my bike was carb'd. He had assumed it was FI because of how easily it had started right off the truck and then during the ride..

In all honesty for each season for the last few years I have been heavily considering a brand new KX, but I have mine setup so nicely and it runs and starts so good and has been so trouble free im afraid i wont have the same success with the new one.

My friend had the same problem on his 2012 KX450F. He went out to start his bike when it was 25F degrees out before an enduro. The bike just would not start. 5 of us kept trying and took all the efi connectors apart and changed the plug. Finally kicking it slow several times with the throttle wide open got it to fire up. Seemed like it was flooded. He barely made it to the start. Took us 35 minutes to get it started. Very strange. Has not happened again. It started fine the next weekend when it was 30F degrees out. Go figure.