Sign in to follow this  

Critique/Tips? Full Track Video

5 Min short vid of a few laps at the track

My younger brother is the one on the YZ and is a fresh beginner, same with me on the Honda in front. He is just wanting some basic tips to help improve his speed or anything else you can spot in the video that he can do better/improve. Might be hard to see me in the video(honda rider) but if you can point out anything I can improve on, that would be helpful also! :lol: We both have about 2 months of weekend riding total so far.

On almost every turn it looks like you just are taking your foot off the peg so you don't tip over. (We all start that way) With time and after your confidence builds, put your leg straight out in front almost by the fork guard but not that close to the bike. haha. Not sure what you are doing as far as clutch, but I use clutch in every turn. It'll save your butt if you are in too high of gear and for some reason you have to let off the gas...its easier to feather the clutch to get grip as well. It's easier to get faster if you already have the basic idea of what to do. I won't get too technical on what to do in turns because its very complicated and strategies can be opposite for different terrains and types of turn/conditions. Really when you hit a turn faster than you have before you feel like the wheel will slip out...and to be honest, it probably will at some point. Crashing can make your better if you take good things from it....ex: You crash in a turn riding with a buddy, If it's safe, get up and look at the tire marks. See how your bike is angled and try to figure out what happened. Keep those things in mind next time you hit that turn. I have a rule on my track...If you wreck, (and your not seriously hurt) get up, do it again twice as fast as soon as you can. The longer you wait to try something again when your learning, the more you will talk yourself out of something.

I hope this helped, I'm not trying to sound like a pro or anything cause i'm FAR from it...so if anyone has any comments on this post, go for it! :lol:

0honda

Well, looks like you guys are just beginners having some fun and I think you should be focused on just riding more. There is not much data I can get from watching the video because honestly, you guys weren't going quick enough for me to give any specific input. So speed it up a bit and maybe get some training video's if you can, so you can dial in your body position and stuff like that.

Yeah I was just trying to stay in the Camera's view, I'm about 30 seconds faster than him on this track. But he's doing pretty well i'd say he's only 13 and has been riding for about a month I just tell him to keep it up :lol:

By the way, If I didn't live so far away I would love to go rip that track. Looks like a fun track for any skill level! You can improve tons by riding that track.

Haha, I was going suggest you try to keep up with the Honda, since I watched the video before I read that you were on the Honda!

Just keep working at, you're at one of the most fun stages of riding where you improve every time you ride.

By the way, If I didn't live so far away I would love to go rip that track. Looks like a fun track for any skill level! You can improve tons by riding that track.

Yeah, it's great.

seat time, er peg time. read the books, watch the lesson vids, did I say practice.

Go to gary's course.. Read the mx techniques here that interest you at the moment, then go to the track and ride. Ask particular questions of areas you want to get better at then go to the track. 3rd person view of you practicing video. Read the techniques, then practice. stand up learn your body english by riding. Sorry I couldn't help more your probably better than me on the track,, me riding gnarly rocky trails helped my body english. Have fun.

read the threads here on cornering, Practice going into, around, and out of the corners faster.

Follow other faster riders (try to watch what they do) Just following them will make you faster,,,DONT Ride above your head. Practice your start from a stop against each other.

Couple things...and take them with a grain of salt; I'm about 3 months on a bike.

I've been practising in sand. Beauty is you can crash and nearly always spit it out and keep riding. I highly recommend a dose of sand to learn aggressive cornering. Jumps are harder because it's tougher to get traction, but cornering is more important for us anyway at this point.

Also, to echo the first responder's comments, that track looks like 2nd and 3rd gear all the way around; keep the revs up with the clutch. Critical skill.

Decent camera work...looking forward to Santathelite bringing me a gopro. :bonk:

Well, looks like you guys are just beginners having some fun and I think you should be focused on just riding more. There is not much data I can get from watching the video because honestly, you guys weren't going quick enough for me to give any specific input. So speed it up a bit and maybe get some training video's if you can, so you can dial in your body position and stuff like that.

+1:thumbsup:

comparing that to other go pro videos ive seen it looks like hes looking right down at his front wheel. maybe suggest getting his eyes out front a little more

It looks like your having fun and that's what it's all about. If you think about this one statement and make it your goal to learn the skills to make it happen you will be going about as fast as you want... "Never coast"

Floating through the air doesn't count.

One more, "Every time you turn the throttle, find the throttle stop every time."

it stays open year round?

Yeah. Mon - Fri: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm

Sat - Sun: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm

Unless the track is terrible condition he will close it.

Thanks for the info.

As far as critiquing it Is really difficult for me to understand the terrain judging from a gopro. Maybe a vid taken from someone else following you would work better. Beyond that I wouldn't be qualified for any level of advice. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and they just don't do justice.

Id like to check out that track in a couple weeks