Sign in to follow this  

BMW dealerships selling Husky - toe in the water

Quit work pretty close to quittin' time today and managed to get to the BMW dealer before they turned out the lights. They have the lighted Husky sign out front and about half a dozen bikes on the floor. There was already an LV system on the TE310 to spice it up. One TXC 310, which they thought was for MX, the rest street legal. Talked to a sales and parts person a bit. They don't really know the lineup, but a Husky rep is coming in tomorrow to do some training. They aren't going to be set up to sell any parts until after the new year. Completely different parts/computer systems.

The way they told it, it's operationally going to be just like any other multi-line dealership, as if they sold Hondas and Yamahas together. Totally separate sales/marketing/product support systems and networks. Even though the lending will be through BMW financial, it's a completely different "front" to the system.

I'll have to walk down to the motorcycle show (I live that close) this weekend and look for some Husky peeps.

I'm told by a local BMW dealer Husky will also be sharing the two BMW US parts warehouses.

It would be nice if Husqvarna NA would focus on signing new Husqvarna Dealers in other parts of the country like the south (as in Texas to Florida for one) instead of just Southern California where they're putting Husqvarna dealers on top of one another.

JustSayen:bonk:

P.S. And the Husqvarna parts being distribution through the BMW parts system is the best thing that could happen to Husqvarna... BMW parts distribution is second to none and is the best in the world!

Edited by HuskyRips

noticed that 3 bros is now a husky dealer. damn close to george's territory if you ask me. I am sure part of it has to do with the look of george's shop. i would bet that he can sell as many of the bikes as a more modern shop.... but did notice that So Cal motorcycles has a seperate building for husky. and BMW made mini dealerships build stand alone stores for their mini's....

George's shop. Went there once. George was very, very nice and pleasant. Wouldn't hesitate to ride with him. But... I've been involved in the performance auto parts business at retail and in sales/marketing and operations ends of the manufacturing side, and that shop just seems wrong on so many levels. What George does is great. There's clearly a place for it, and nobody else could/would do it, but Husky doesn't need 200 more Georges.

I don't think Husky can make the BMW shops put up new buildings for the red and white bikes. The key is going to be for the BMW shops to make the answer to the question, "Why are there dirt bikes here?" obvious. If it looks like there are dirt bikes in the BMW shop because there was a high-level corporate decision to put them there and the people running the BMW shop had no choice but to go along with it, it will fail. If the BMW shops get themselves behind it as if the owner of that particular shop decided on his own initiative to pick up a new brand and do whatever it took to make it work, then it has a much better chance.

With my local shop, the person whose business card says "Goddess O' Sales" was the one who didn't know anything about the bikes and was going to wait for the trainer to come in. Apparently, with half a dozen bikes on the floor to sell, she hadn't gone on the Husky web site and dug all the information out of it that there was, spent evenings on the forums reading Husky threads to understand the machines and the customers, etc.

I see no issues with it. Why have a completely different store and overhead for a line of bikes that you can't hardly survive on? Leverage your infrastructure and add Huskys to existing BMW dealerships but only where it makes sense. People always complaining about "there is no husky dealership in my town" so this is a reasonable way to get one. If they do the training and get people up to speed it can't be a bad thing to have more exposure. It will be up to the individual dealer and their local customer base to decide if it flys. I think we all need to get over the fact that BMW owns husky and this is just efficient marketing through an existing store front that has huge overhead and probably would not exist at all if it did not have a BMW street bike revenue to support it.

So basically we can have no new husky dealerships or they can leverage the existing storefronts and expand.

Keep in mine many dealers are muti brand to survive. Halls, the top seller and one of the most respected shops does GG, Artic Cat, Ducati etc.

Stop being so scared of the mother ship. It is retail, if the BMW shop that deals Husky sucks it will not last. If it rules we have another outlet and exposure to the brand we love.

It would be nice if Husqvarna NA would focus on signing new Husqvarna Dealers in other parts of the country like the south (as in Texas to Florida for one) instead of just Southern California where they're putting Husqvarna dealers on top of one another.

P.S. And the Husqvarna parts being distribution through the BMW parts system is the best thing that could happen to Husqvarna... BMW parts distribution is second to none and is the best in the world!

Thank you Sir!

Thank you Sir! And that "Goddess O' Sales", that says a lot about her. Nope. I guess I am just destined to buy a Beta. If I could only find one. Here Beta Beta Beta.

Thank you Sir! And that "Goddess O' Sales", that says a lot about her. Nope. I guess I am just destined to buy a Beta. If I could only find one. Here Beta Beta Beta.

Remember you can just order one! It's the best bike,, honest, trust me.

I hope BMW makes dealers have husky because there is a dealer not far from my house. Oh, wait I want to be able to afford one. Never mind!

Remember you can just order one! It's the best bike,, honest, trust me.

I hope BMW makes dealers have husky because there is a dealer not far from my house. Oh, wait I want to be able to afford one. Never mind!

Not for $8500 plus. I want to see, feel, sit on, etc. And since three dealers in the last two weeks have told me they will not order another Beta, I am very hesitant. OK, back to the Husky thread.

We have a old well established BMW bike shop here. Been here for as long as I can remember. A excellent mom and pop shop. We have the Japanese brands in 2 shops here. We have KTM also in a shop with 3 of the Japanese brands, even though the rumor was they were going to drop the KTM line. Anyway, If the local BMW shop here would/could get Husky's and/or parts I think they would do good.

i just ordered my new 11' husqvarna from Bob at central jersey cycle in new jersey. i have found that bob learns about the product and then helps with the sale. i would reccomend bob to anyone that is going to buy a new husky. he is veryclose to the pulse of the new company setup and is heading towards being the best dealer out there.

just saying.

warriordad

Not for $8500 plus. I want to see, feel, sit on, etc. And since three dealers in the last two weeks have told me they will not order another Beta, I am very hesitant. OK, back to the Husky thread.

Yep I know what you are saying, just poking fun at others on TT. Anyone considering buying a bike for today's $$, you should demo ride first. My local BMW dealer through out the year has open rides on many bikes. Now if we can get Husky to demo at the local tracks, that would be great.

noticed that 3 bros is now a husky dealer. damn close to george's territory if you ask me. I am sure part of it has to do with the look of george's shop. i would bet that he can sell as many of the bikes as a more modern shop....

Didn't I see George on an episode of HOARDERS? :lol: For all we know, he already has 10 brand new husky's in his shop and we just can't find them.

I have just got back from a tour of the UK and what seems to be happening is that dealers are attempting to sell Huskies with absolutely no product knowledge. BMW maywell have the most advanced parts system on the planet but you have to know your product.

As potentail dirtbike buyers we have already studied the ins and outs of each particular brand and model before we set foot in the showroom. We then go into BMW to get hands on and discuss the technicalities, it is absolutely useless when sales staff know less than my cat about their product.

I have owned and ridden Husqvarnas for 30 years so it isn't about selling me a new bike but how on earth are they going to persuade anyone who is new to the brand or undecided.

I have just got back from a tour of the UK and what seems to be happening is that dealers are attempting to sell Huskies with absolutely no product knowledge. BMW maywell have the most advanced parts system on the planet but you have to know your product.

As potentail dirtbike buyers we have already studied the ins and outs of each particular brand and model before we set foot in the showroom. We then go into BMW to get hands on and discuss the technicalities, it is absolutely useless when sales staff know less than my cat about their product.

I have owned and ridden Husqvarnas for 30 years so it isn't about selling me a new bike but how on earth are they going to persuade anyone who is new to the brand or undecided.

That's why Husqvarna really needs to separate the Husqvarna street bikes from Husqvarna dirt bikes at this time.

Let the BMW shops sell what they're comfortable selling (BMW powered Husqvarna street bikes) and when they grow up they can add dirt bikes.

Same for the Husqvana dirt bike shops... focus on what they're comfortable selling and once they're ready they can add street bikes.

Keep it simple and let each do what they do best. :lol:

I see no issues with it. Why have a completely different store and overhead for a line of bikes that you can't hardly survive on? Leverage your infrastructure and add Huskys to existing BMW dealerships but only where it makes sense. People always complaining about "there is no husky dealership in my town" so this is a reasonable way to get one. If they do the training and get people up to speed it can't be a bad thing to have more exposure. It will be up to the individual dealer and their local customer base to decide if it flys. I think we all need to get over the fact that BMW owns husky and this is just efficient marketing through an existing store front that has huge overhead and probably would not exist at all if it did not have a BMW street bike revenue to support it.

So basically we can have no new husky dealerships or they can leverage the existing storefronts and expand.

Keep in mine many dealers are muti brand to survive. Halls, the top seller and one of the most respected shops does GG, Artic Cat, Ducati etc.

Stop being so scared of the mother ship. It is retail, if the BMW shop that deals Husky sucks it will not last. If it rules we have another outlet and exposure to the brand we love.

Steve Jobs said don't fear cannibalizing sales. If you don't do it, someone else will.

That's why Husqvarna really needs to separate the Husqvarna street bikes from Husqvarna dirt bikes at this time.

Disagree. Why would you even bother putting Husqvarna on them and painting them red then? Why did they not just make them updated BMW's? Because they want to cross market. Many husky dealers want a husky street bike. Bills would have no issues selling them I don't think. Makes it an EZer jump when someone loves huskys and has ridden their dirt bikes for years, getting older and wants an adventure or street bike. "Hey, my local husky shop has some cool ones, I'll go look at a brand and dealer I am comfortable with". For BMW dealerships it allows them to start making in roads to the off road crowd. Thats the whole reason for buying husky right? To get into off road?

IMHO it all boils down to the individual dealer and husky training those dealers. Some are high end snob shops that would not do well with husky. Many others are more flexible, already deal with dirt bikes (like Portland Motorcycles that sells Suzuki and Kawi dirt bikes as well as BWM, Ducati and Triumph brands) and will do well to add Husky dirt bikes and street bikes. You can't just say this is good or bad as it is great for some an not for others. Finding the right fit is always the key.

As for the UK shops mentioned above this is husky's fault for not educating and arming these guys and bad management to let their employees look stupid in front of the customer. that can happen with any brand street or dirt, see it all the time. That's incompetence. If your going to take on any new line you should learn about them and your management should be arming you with info before you walk out to the sales floor. I walked into a Yamaha shop once and asked the snot nose kid for a spark plug for a YZ250, he asked me how many cylinders is that. That is not Yamaha's fault.

It's all about time and resources... neither of which most small Husqvarna dealers have.

I think we're all aware the Software/hardware required for tuning these NEW BMW engined Husqvarna street bikes is something that 95% of the existing Husqvarna dealer base can't afford... most existing Husqvarna dealers are just hanging on trying to survive as is the rest of the power-sports industry in this current economy.

BMW dealers on the other hand... already have the tuning Software/hardware, but most are clueless when it comes to dirt bikes or the dirt bike market... other than their adventure bikes they now sell... and again that's not really the dirt bike market... more like gentlemen street-bike riders with trials tires and expensive clothing gear and BMW hardparts.

If existing Husqvarna dealer wants to sell these NEW Husqvarna street bikes... (then all the power to them!)... only thing is they had just better make sure they have the tuning Software/hardware and tools required to service these NEW Husqvana Street Bike products or it's going to tarnish their business and be the kiss of death for them.

Same goes for BMW dealers selling dirt bikes... if they're selling dirt bikes they had better have a good understanding of the market and support it the same way dirt bike shops support the product.

This is right from Klaus Allsat, the president of Husqvarna worldwide: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/8862299/Husqvarna-to-emulate-MINI-in-BMW-stable.html

Sounds like a plan that works :lol:

i will bet your favorite adult beverage that that goddess o'sales was from SoCal motorcycles. she knows ducati's and triumphs, but the other lines .. not so much. one of the few women who owns a dealership... they are an aggressive dealership thou. they just got the bikes in, givem time. they have a riders club, BBQ's lot's going on there.